So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s just you.  There’s rarely much that happens before Thanksgiving.  The Winter Meetings are Dec. 4-7.  There might be some deals between Thanksgiving and then, but probably not a ton. 

I was about to say the same thing it's not until after Thanksgiving when the big free agents start agreeing to contracts. The winter meetings is when it seems to pick up with player movement and trades. 

The Orioles are not expected to be serious bidders for the most expensive pitchers on the market (I’m guessing that’s deGrom, Verlander, and Rodon), but they are expected to keep in contact with guys in that tier. Meanwhile, the “second” tier of starters is in their sights, which could have some significant overlap with the Cubs. I think Kodai Senga, Chris Bassitt, and Taijuan Walker fit into this tier, for example. 

The Orioles are also looking for left-handed hitting corner outfielders, first baseman, and DHs, which has some overlap with the Cubs, if you’re thinking Cody Bellinger or Jose Abreu. Bellinger gets a specific mention.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2022/11/21/lukewarm-stove-the-dodgers-are-waking-up-verlanders-coastal-options-orioles-cubs-overlap-trading-for-a-d-back-more/

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s just you.  There’s rarely much that happens before Thanksgiving.  The Winter Meetings are Dec. 4-7.  There might be some deals between Thanksgiving and then, but probably not a ton. 

I think some of us are putting so much hope into those words of liftoff, yet, our brain knows its really not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If this is true Elias really isn’t seeking a TOR.

Hasn’t he said a #3 starter? I know we’re all hoping for a bona fide ace but it’s just not realistic. Not that it couldn’t happen…they’ve got the pay roll space for it. I’ve just never seen the O’s give out real big contracts to pitching before

Also from Bowden

Trade proposal: The Orioles offer outfielder Anthony Santander and minor leaguer Connor Norby to Miami for López. Who says no? — Matt S.

Let me change it up: If the Orioles offer Cedric Mullins, they’re getting López. The Marlins’ No. 1 priority is to acquire a long-term solution for center field, and Mullins has been at or near the top of their target list for two years.

28 minutes ago, dabirds said:

Also from Bowden

Trade proposal: The Orioles offer outfielder Anthony Santander and minor leaguer Connor Norby to Miami for López. Who says no? — Matt S.

Let me change it up: If the Orioles offer Cedric Mullins, they’re getting López. The Marlins’ No. 1 priority is to acquire a long-term solution for center field, and Mullins has been at or near the top of their target list for two years.

Mullins for Lopez is a no brainer for the Orioles.  We have the internal options to replace Ced (love Ced, as a fan, woiuld hate to see him go) and Lopez provides young upside with team control. 

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Mullins for Lopez is a no brainer for the Orioles.  We have the internal options to replace Ced (love Ced, as a fan, woiuld hate to see him go) and Lopez provides young upside with team control. 

Lopez is under team control for two years, Mullins for 3.   Who are the internal options to replace Mullins?  Pretty much anyone who’s played in the majors or AAA is a defensive downgrade.  Beavers or Fabian are two years away, by which time Lopez is a free agent.  I don’t think I would trade Mullins for Lopez even up.  

• Upvote 2