So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

Eovaldi on anything but a 2 year deal seems like a mistake. High velocity, aging pitchers coming off injury, and saw their FB drop 1 MPH don’t sound like good deals. I like that he throws strikes but he got hit really hard last year. Towards the bottom of the league in Hard hit and Barrel %. Spin rate is really low and that doesn’t sound like Elias. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I liked the article.  I do think we need a pitcher though.  I wish the options were better.   

I think we need one too and said as much.  I’m really just against Rodon for 5 years and I’m not interested in middling guys that I don’t think have a lot of upside.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we should trade from our infield depth if we can.  

Agreed but I wonder how much guys like Mateo and Urias are valued. And if we trade someone like Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby are we selling before we know what we have? There’s just so many possibilities for how this off-season could go. 

27 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I agree with his opinions on the FA SP, but I’d still rather do that than go to the trade market. 

Eovaldi + Mullins is better than Lopez + McKenna/Phillips

What about Lopez + a Kevin Kiermaier/Ryan Mckenna CF platoon + a third round draft pick? Because the Red Sox get a compensation pick from whoever signs Eovaldi. Also, I think KK/RM is a much more appealing hypothetical replacement for Mullins than BP/RM. 

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

What about Lopez + a Kevin Kiermaier/Ryan Mckenna CF platoon + a third round draft pick? Because the Red Sox get a compensation pick from whoever signs Eovaldi. Also, I think KK/RM is a much more appealing hypothetical replacement for Mullins than BP/RM. 

No that doesn’t change things at all. We didn’t even sign a 3rd rounder this year. Hardly something to take notice of. 

Edited by waroriole

Is McKenna's job 100% safe from Daz Cameron?   

Roster Resource presently forecasting Cameron over McKenna for a bench spot, possibly factoring in McKenna's 1 remaining option working against him for hoarding purposes.

Last year Kiermaier fell off to 32nd of 46 centerfielders by OAA, and he never could hit.    I know he's been part of beating us soundly a bunch of recent years but I think like Syndergaard don't mix up who he was and who he is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

We didn’t even sign a 3rd rounder this year.

This is a pretty meaningless data point unless you expect it to become a common occurrence.

And the implication that 3rd round picks are so valueless that it's no big deal to sarifice one for a mid-rotation starter when a bunch of other fairly comparable mid-rotation starters are available that don't cost a pick seems like a weird thing for an Orioles fan to say since some of the Orioles' best prospects were drafted in the third round or later- Mayo, Ortiz, Povich, Stowers, etc.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

possibly factoring in McKenna's 1 remaining option working against him for hoarding purposes

It's probably just that. The difference between what Cameron would give us and what McKenna would give us is not likely to be significant. The backup CF/late inning defensive replacement for Stowers or Santander probably won't even crack 200 PAs in 2023 unless Cedric is injured for an extended period.