So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s also younger.  I’d rather have Lopez than those guys over the next two years.   But I’d probably prefer to have one of those guys AND Mullins than Lopez and no Mullins.  I think we need a bit more than just Lopez.  SG might be right that expanding the proposed trade is the way to go.   

Lots of ways to go too.

Mountcastle to Miami in the deal be sign Abreu.

Mateo or Urias in the deal and you have natural replacements. 

Such a good fit in many ways.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t puke if we got Wacha as the second pitcher we acquired this winter (if we decide we need one).   But the headliner needs to be better.  

You should puke. He’s a waste of money.  He hasnt been good since 2018 up until last year, although the BB rate has been stellar.

He has been in a league about a decade and has thrown over 140 innings twice and not once since 2017.

He isn’t a guy you give 3 years and a boat load of money too.  We should be producing guys like him for a fraction of the cost and guess what, they are of last year is any indication of that.

His ceiling is limited and the floor is low. 

His statcast numbers don’t give me a ton of confidence either.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/michael-wacha-608379?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Edited by Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because he’s not good. 

Yes but what #3 money wise starter would you be happy with. I heard Quintana for 2 years 24 million. He’s more likely to regress than Wacha in my opinion. The only downside to Wacha imo is that you’ll only likely get 150 innings 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Yes but what #3 money wise starter would you be happy with. I heard Quintana for 2 years 24 million. He’s more likely to regress than Wacha in my opinion. The only downside to Wacha imo is that you’ll only likely get 150 innings 

There are no free agent pitchers I want for any kind of a long term deal(3+ years) outside of maybe DeGrom.

I have also previously spoken in favor of the Mullins-for-Lopez idea and would still be open to it since Lopez is better than any of the SPs we'd realistically be in on in free agency. You could sign Kevin Kiermaier and platoon him with McKenna in CF for a year or two until a better option presents itself. KK plays excellent defense and has hit a very playable .247/.310/.425 against righties for his career and McKenna hit an encouraging .270/.333/.460 against lefties last year. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lopez is under team control for two years, Mullins for 3.   Who are the internal options to replace Mullins?  Pretty much anyone who’s played in the majors or AAA is a defensive downgrade.  Beavers or Fabian are two years away, by which time Lopez is a free agent.  I don’t think I would trade Mullins for Lopez even up.  

McKenna and Cave are the true CF guys. Hays wouldn't embarrass himself there if healthy, though he's not very fast. Stowers has played a decent amount of CF, as has Vavra. Then Cowser when they think he's ready. 

It's not as bad as our 1B depth, but it's admittedly not great. 

I think Mullins' defense is a tick overrated, but still top tier obviously. I would roll the dice at swapping CF defense for SP. Just need to hold the fort out there until Cowser is ready. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, hell has frozen over. I just wrote an overly positive Os article and advocated that they don’t spend poorly and people are crushing me on Twitter for it.

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

Now I feel compelled to read the article.   This sounds like a trick.    lol

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, hell has frozen over. I just wrote an overly positive Os article and advocated that they don’t spend poorly and people are crushing me on Twitter for it.

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

I used to post in the MASN comments section during the DD years and the quality of knowledge and discourse there was generally atrocious compared to OH, and I would imagine the quality of Twitter discussion is even worse than that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Now I feel compelled to read the article.   This sounds like a trick.    lol

I’d post it but I don’t like to do that unless Tony says it’s ok.  You can see it on ESR.

It’s just funny to me that people think the only possible way to get better is to spend crazy amounts of money on free agents.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I used to post in the MASN comments section during the DD years and the quality of knowledge and discourse there was generally atrocious compared to OH, and I would imagine the quality of Twitter discussion is even worse than that.

Sounds like an accurate description.

Like I don’t get along with everyone here and don’t agree with a lot of posts but almost every one on here has well thought out reasons for why they think the way they do.  I can respect that.

But, responses like “you are a loser” or “you accept losing” all because I’m not in favor of dumb contracts are hilarious.

Benintendi: 27, LHH, career 109 OPS+, 3.2 rWAR in 2022 (461 AB), career .808 OPS vs RHP

Hays: 27, RHH, career 104 OPS+, 2.3 rWAR in 2022 (535 AB), career .703 OPS vs LHP

I wish it made more sense to platoon Hays. And by the way his OPS vs RHP isn't much better at .725. Benintendi would be a nice upgrade. 

• Upvote 1