Bowden lists Orioles potential FA and trade targets

Frobby

Baltimore Orioles

Needs: Starting pitching, a left-handed hitter

Free-agent targets: Carlos Rodón, LHP; Nathan Eovaldi, RHP; Chris Bassitt, RHP; José Quintana, LHP; Jameson Taillon, RHP, Taijuan Walker, RHP; Kodai Senga, RHP; Zach Elfin, RHP; Ross Stripling, RHP; Josh Bell, 1B/DH; Dominic Smith, 1B; Andrew Benintendi, LF; Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF; Michael Conforto, RF; Jurickson Profar, OF

Trade targets: Kolten Wong, 2B; Luis Arraez, INF; Ian Happ, INF/OF; Jake McCarthy, OF; Josh Rojas, INF/OF; Jesse Winker, OF/DH; Alek Thomas, OF; Pablo López, RHP

The Orioles have been busy, talking with practically every team and agent in the industry. They are focused on the second and third tiers of the starting pitching market and on trying to acquire a left-handed bat for their lineup. They can offer plenty of playing time to a left-handed hitter at first base, both corner outfield spots, second base and as the designated hitter. This is going to be a fun offseason for Orioles fans because their team will make multiple moves.

https://theathletic.com/3927384/2022/11/25/mlb-trade-free-agent-matches-al/

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baltimore Orioles

Free-agent targets: Carlos Rodón, LHP; Nathan Eovaldi, RHP; Chris Bassitt, RHP; José Quintana, LHP; Jameson Taillon, RHP, Taijuan Walker, RHP; Kodai Senga, RHP; Zach Elfin, RHP; Ross Stripling, RHP; Josh Bell, 1B/DH; Dominic Smith, 1B; Andrew Benintendi, LF; Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF; Michael Conforto, RF; Jurickson Profar, OF

Trade targets: Kolten Wong, 2B; Luis Arraez, INF; Ian Happ, INF/OF; Jake McCarthy, OF; Josh Rojas, INF/OF; Jesse Winker, OF/DH; Alek Thomas, OF; Pablo López, RHP

The Orioles have been busy, talking with practically every team and agent in the industry. They are focused on the second and third tiers of the starting pitching market and on trying to acquire a left-handed bat for their lineup. They can offer plenty of playing time to a left-handed hitter at first base, both corner outfield spots, second base and as the designated hitter. This is going to be a fun offseason for Orioles fans because their team will make multiple moves.

A couple names on there interest me that I haven’t seen discussed:

- Dominic smith: could be had on a MiL deal and is the LF OBP guy. He had a good 2020 and terrible 2021 and 2022

- Winker: they likely sell very low now that they’ve gotten Hernandez 

- Thomas: we don’t need an OF but he profiles similar to Hays though he was top 100. I’m sure they’re trying to move him for more than we’d give.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baltimore Orioles

35 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

A couple names on there interest me that I haven’t seen discussed:

- Dominic smith: could be had on a MiL deal and is the LF OBP guy. He had a good 2020 and terrible 2021 and 2022

- Winker: they likely sell very low now that they’ve gotten Hernandez 

- Thomas: we don’t need an OF but he profiles similar to Hays though he was top 100. I’m sure they’re trying to move him for more than we’d give.

Smith …. Nah! Why would you add a reclamation project. 

I just don’t see our needs being so vast. We could use 2 starters, 1 that serves as our true #1 and another for depth. We could use a left fielder that in a mid .350 plus OB machine and we need a first base/DH that os a proven RBI type. Lastly I would want 1 additional proven bullpen arm.

If they add these things we don’t really block our prospects and we can compete this season.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if Elias will close deals, but all this left-handed bats smoke its awfully tempting to infer his perspective on Stowers and Vavra leans Glass Half Empty.

I've always been curious for Brandon Belt to get a year away from McCovey Cove - he rates very well in OBP and Swing Decisions, plus he can tell Adley stories about Buster Posey.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't know if Elias will close deals, but all this left-handed bats smoke its awfully tempting to infer his perspective on Stowers and Vavra leans Glass Half Empty.

I've always been curious for Brandon Belt to get a year away from McCovey Cove - he rates very well in OBP and Swing Decisions, plus he can tell Adley stories about Buster Posey.

He hits better in McCovey than he does outside of it.

40 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Yea never would want to add a reclamation project on a minor league deal like I note. The guy knows he could get an opportunity if he turns and mount continues to struggle 

I'm fine with adding Smith as a bench guy and fill in for injuries, but not as our "significant bat."  If the Orioles are serious about competing now--and they say they are--they should not be giving hundreds of at bats to a reclamation projects like Smith. 

I wonder what type of contracts it would take to snatch up Quintana and Elfin. I think they could be some affordable pursuits, and probably wouldn't take too many years either.

I wonder what Josh Bell's price will be. Is he worth 3/45? Could he get better than that? A buy low for Winker could be a good move especially if Santander is dealt and even if he isn't depending on how Hyde uses the DH and Corner OF. I wonder if he could be taught to play any 1B. Thomas would be an interesting pursuit as well; it's a good depth move as we need a little more MLB ready CF depth, especially depending on any moves Elias decides to make.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Baltimore Orioles

One of Rodon, Eovaldi, and Bassitt.  Explore trades for Wong and Lopez and maybe Winker.  

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I wonder what type of contracts it would take to snatch up Quintana and Elfin. I think they could be some affordable pursuits, and probably wouldn't take too many years either.

I wonder what Josh Bell's price will be. Is he worth 3/45? Could he get better than that? A buy low for Winker could be a good move especially if Santander is dealt and even if he isn't depending on how Hyde uses the DH and Corner OF. I wonder if he could be taught to play any 1B. Thomas would be an interesting pursuit as well; it's a good depth move as we need a little more MLB ready CF depth, especially depending on any moves Elias decides to make.

I wrote an article about Bell for FanSided a few weeks ago.  I think he'll get more than he's worth (projects are four years 60-64M).  He is very streaky and not a great defender.  You might get an 800+ OPS from him, but I just don't think that's worthwhile for four years when others can be had cheaper (Winker perhaps). 

Conforto is s guy I have considered before. If he could get back to like 80% of his previous form, he'd be a really solid pickup. Maybe something like 1/$8 million with a club option for like $17 million and a $2 million buyout? So it would work out as either 1/$10 million or 2/$25 million if he ends up being worth exercising the option. He may want a pure 1 year deal though, which would still be worth exploring.

35 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'm fine with adding Smith as a bench guy and fill in for injuries, but not as our "significant bat."  If the Orioles are serious about competing now--and they say they are--they should not be giving hundreds of at bats to a reclamation projects like Smith. 

Im obviously not advocating for Smith as our significant bat, but I’m also not advocating for spending for a significant bat. To the OBP thread, we’re above average just by replacing at bats. Then you hope for some improvement from mount and Hays, and you add something Mancini (or Santana but now gone) for $5 mil to get some solid bench ABs. 

Smith could fill that role with improvement, or he costs us little to keep in the minors.