“Liftoff - Perhaps a Bit Misunderstood “

Roll Tide

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll blow my own horn here and remind you gentlemen that I've been saying for months to not be surprised if Elias doesn't spend a lot of money in free agency.  

The "significant upgrades" are going to be a full year of Gunnar, Adley, 125 innings of G-Rod and banking on some more production from higher ranked prospects in the system.  

It's December 6th.   What are you going to blow if and when you're wrong?

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I thought this was a family safe site 😀

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think I'm gonna be wrong here, bro.  But Elias saying that people misinterpreted "liftoff" is a big sign that we're not gonna be in on the high priced FAs.  

I still think we are going to either see a trade or FA signing for a mid tier starter.   If not, then go blow your horn.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think I'm gonna be wrong here, bro.  But Elias saying that people misinterpreted "liftoff" is a big sign that we're not gonna be in on the high priced FAs.  

He’s also said we’ve made multi-year offers to pitchers.  

I have no idea what anyone thinks is a “significant” payroll increase.   Like I said, in the poll we ran, 38% said the payroll would be $60-79 mm, 38% said $80-99 mm.  If we end up at the midpoint of $80 mm, is that a significant increase?   I would say so.  Others might not.  

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I'm not suggesting that he meant "throwing ludicrous money at the top free agents".

As I've stated before there is a middle ground.

I don't hear liftoff and think of going from 29th in payroll to 26th.

Fine. Then let's be patient and see where the payroll ends up.

To me, "lift off" means we're going to be serious about winning a Championship and acquire the talent that will accomplish that, without mortgaging our future. I think we'll end up closer to 20th than 26th, and I expect we'll be serious playoff contenders.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s also said we’ve made multi-year offers to pitchers.  

I have no idea what anyone thinks is a “significant” payroll increase.   Like I said, in the poll we ran, 38% said the payroll would be $60-79 mm, 38% said $80-99 mm.  If we end up at the midpoint of $80 mm, is that a significant increase?   I would say so.  Others might not.  

You also said you would be disappointed in this offseason if the Orioles payroll would be less then the Rays. It is still early but could possibly be less 

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes and a sign that the Angelos’ pulled the budget increase from under him. Bet he darts at his 1st opportunity. The ownership group of this team is a disgrace. 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes and a sign that the Angelos’ pulled the budget increase from under him. Bet he darts at his 1st opportunity. The ownership group of this team is a disgrace. 

You say this as if Elias didn’t know what the budget was going to be.

None of you are listening to what the man says. None of you are paying attention to how things are being done or what was and is being done in the place he came from.

Let’s make things perfectly clear. This team is only going to go as far as the players who are already in the organization  can carry it. This is how it’s always going to be and it’s how it should be and usually how it always works in pro sports.  Some teams will spend more money to supplement what they have but largely you go where your existing talent can take you.

• Upvote 2