Taking Elias and Hyde’s comments at face value

Sports Guy

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently, Stowers isn't a nugget.  They talk about acquiring a player who will be on the level of Hays/Mullins/Santander and working that player into the 9 man everyday lineup.   That's not good for Stowers.

It does seem like they hate Stowers.  I don’t get it. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What indication do you have on those “seems”?

Couple of data points.   Boras was complimenting Elias on his aggressiveness on Monday/ Tuesday.   Sounded like Elias was in on Rodon before the 6 year demand happened.

Elias said he talked to a few pitchers about being the O's Opening Day starter. That sounds like Rodon, Bassitt or Taillon.  Taillon is off the board.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I've mentioned it.  You've mentioned it.   I think Stowers goes in a trade.   I also don't believe the Urias to 2B stuff.   They have to say that with the current roster construction.   I think he's gone too.   I do believe Westburg will be the 2B.     

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

You mean for opening day? Maybe, but there should still be 500 PAs for him. 

How do you figure.   If they acquire an OF that is considered on the level of Hays/Santander/Mullins then those guys are targeted for 140-150 games.   The only way Stowers gets 500 PA's is if there are injuries.   That's certainly possible but the plan going into the season wouldn't be for that.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Couple of data points.   Boras was complimenting Elias on his aggressiveness on Monday/ Tuesday.   Sounded like Elias was in on Rodon before the 6 year demand happened.

Elias said he talked to a few of pitchers about being the O's Opening Day starter. That sounds like Rodon, Bassitt or Taillon.  Taillon is off the board.

Where did it sound like Elias was in on Rodón at 5 years?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I've mentioned it.  You've mentioned it.   I think Stowers goes in a trade.   I also don't believe the Urias to 2B stuff.   They have to say that with the current roster construction.   I think he's gone too.   I do believe Westburg will be the 2B.     

Yea I can get behind this but what is available for Urias and Stowers? 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

+1, the treatment of Stowers may be the biggest issue with '22. DH'ing Aguilar was a joke and seemed to fly in the face of the developmental strategy they have been implementing. Just makes no sense at all. I almost wonder if there is a clubhouse or makeup issue that we don't know about? If they didn't like his defense or something they should have traded him while he still looks like a prospect. Maybe they will. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea I can get behind this but what is available for Urias and Stowers? 

Who knows?    I know the Marlins want a CF but do they need a RF/LF/DH as well?   I would guess so.   A 3B?   I would think so.   Doesn't mean they want those two players, but .......

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Where did it sound like Elias was in on Rodón at 5 years?

Rodon has widely been talked about as wanting 5 years all off season.   If the O's were in on Rodon when Boras was complimenting Elias for his agressiveness, Elias had to be at 5 years at that point.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Who knows?    I know the Marlins want a CF but do they need a RF/LF/DH as well?   I would guess so.   A 3B?   I would think so.   Doesn't mean they want those two players, but .......

Yea they certainly represent a possibility. 

I will also agree that it’s hard for me to believe they are going to move Urias to second while also talking about how much they care about defense.  

He’s not a butcher over there but he’s far better at third.

Just feels like the team to cash on these guys.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All of us have been talking about the trade acquisition being a pitcher..what if it’s a hitter?  

They could definitely go that route but seems like they either need to go for somebody meaningfully better than who they have, or somebody short term that won't block Cowser. 

It's hard gauging what they're looking for because this acquisition is going to in some capacity cut into opportunities for Stowers/Hays/Santander/Mountcastle in 2023...tough to tell who is on the outside looking in for their plans for 2024+. In terms of 2023 roster construction it likely hurts Stowers the most, but Santander is FA after 2024 and Hays after 2025. 

I don't think it bodes well for their view of Stowers if they're willing to hamper his development in 2023 when there's likely to be room for him in 2024+.  Looking for a LH bat now together with how long they inexplicably waited to call up Stowers after trading Mancini last year tells me they may not be too high on him.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How do you figure.   If they acquire an OF that is considered on the level of Hays/Santander/Mullins then those guys are targeted for 140-150 games.   The only way Stowers gets 500 PA's is if there are injuries.   That's certainly possible but the plan going into the season wouldn't be for that.

Why would Hays be targeted for 140-150 games? Unless there’s vast improvement from him, he’d be in a platoon. Maybe with Stowers. I think Vavra is the guy who’s impacted the most. 

That said, of course there will be injuries that allow Stowers to get 500 PAs if he’s healthy and reasonably productive. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rodon has widely been talked about as wanting 5 years all off season.   If the O's were in on Rodon when Boras was complimenting Elias for his agressiveness, Elias had to be at 5 years at that point.

Ok, so you don’t have any actual evidence or anything that is remotely factual.  You are just making things up.

BTw, that’s fine but you were talking like it was a fact.