Would you sell the farm for 2 years of Burnes?

interloper

There are no current rumors about this, and it's obviously unlikely. But just curious. He's probably the best pitcher you could conceivably get in a trade. Like Pablo Lopez, he has 2 seasons until he hits free agency (2025). Unlike Lopez, though, he's unquestionably an ace-caliber pitcher. 

Would you give up whatever top prospects were necessary, with the risk that he could walk after 2 years? The cost to extend him would be astronomical in today's market. He'd be 30 and probably command a 7-10 year deal of currently unfathomable dollars if the FA market continues to be insane in the following years. If the O's didn't show him they are true contenders in those 2 years, he could easily take his services elsewhere, to say nothing of whether the Orioles would actually meet his contract demands.

EDIT: Let's assume due to the mere 2 years of control, that the Orioles are able to make this trade without including Grayson, Gunnar, or Holliday. The rest of their farm system is in play. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

First, define the farm.

Second, no.

I'm pretty bad at trade theorizing, but I'd expect they'd want a lot. I'd say at least 3 top 20 guys (with a top 5 guy a must in there), and somebody like Kremer to fill the ML SP hole they'd have. 

Hall
Kremer
Westburg
Mayo

? Something like that. Again, others might be better at this. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm pretty bad at trade theorizing, but I'd expect they'd want a lot. I'd say at least 3 top 20 guys (with a top 5 guy a must in there), and somebody like Kremer to fill the ML SP hole they'd have. 

Hall
Kremer
Westburg
Mayo

? Something like that. Again, others might be better at this. 

To me that isn't selling the farm.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

To me selling the farm is like 5 top 10 prospects.

Cowser, Hall, Westburg, Ortiz, Basallo 

Yeah. I think they could absolutely ask for a package like that, especially if Grayson/Gunnar/Holliday are a hard no from the O's. 

Edited by interloper

9 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Maybe at the deadline and our odds of making the playoffs are looking really good  and he’s viewed as the missing link that would win us a title. 

I think this is where I'm at. And I think it's where Elias is at. Add just enough this off-season cautiously, see if the team looks for real still in 2023, then go hard on trades at the deadline. 

2 minutes ago, tabletop said:

No, I wouldn't trade Grayson Rodriguez, Gunnar Henderson, or Jackson Holliday. Other than those three they could have whoever they want.

Yeah for the purposes of this thread, let's assume "the farm" does not include those 3 guys. 

Any of Cowser/Westburg/Ortiz/Hall/Mayo/Kjerstad, etc would be in play. 

The only trade material I would see trading are our young, established ML players that we think we can backfill with guys off the farm. i.e, Urias, Mateo, Hays, etc. 

I think the only way for the Orioles to stay relevant over a 10 year window, is through a strong minor league system. I wouldn’t even complain if some of those guys were traded to further bolster the minor league system.