Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Again, the Orioles are not paying someone $8M - the second or third highest on their payroll - to eventually not play.  Odor kept playing despite sucking, and Frazier makes 8 time what he made...

Anyone who wants to compare 2022 to 2023 I just don’t get. They dealt Trey and Lopez last year. 

20 minutes ago, terpoh said:

There goes the theory that hes just backup/utility depth.

It was ridiculous to think otherwise. The Orioles do not give $8 million to backups or utility players. The buck stops with Elias, so at the end of the day, he feels Frazier is an everyday player on the 2023 Orioles between 2B,LF,RF. 

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Again, the Orioles are not paying someone $8M - the second or third highest on their payroll - to eventually not play.  Odor kept playing despite sucking, and Frazier makes 8 time what he made...

The most positive spin I can put on this signing is there's a trade or two coming to address holes on the team and Elias is planning ahead. 

I may or may not be in there bargaining stage of accepting Frazier's contract. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know him at all. Nor do I think he is infallible. 

Do you have a personal issue with him? You got all worked up over the catchers he added which didn’t hurt anything. 

i do have issues with some aspects of the organization. That’s another story. 

I've been very clear. I call every situation as I see independently. You can see multiple posts from me giving him credit for the draft and development improvements, use of analytics by coaches and players at the major and minor league levels and for the Orioles international efforts led by Koby Perez.

I even said I didn't have an issue with the Gibson signing if it was also was matched by a #1 or #2 starter acquisition. 

So unlike some, I'm not all one way or the other. Every person has their strengths and their weaknesses, as well as every system. 

I think we're beginning to see the weaknesses in the Elias regime when it comes to using his minor league talent outside of his obvious studs (Adley/Gunnar/GRod) at the major league level, and how to properly evaluate the FA market. He seems to not understand the need for this team to get fans excited now that the team is getting close. 

And any system that determined that Frazier was worth $8 million to be a starter on a 2023 Orioles team should be taken and thrown in the trash along with the analysts that coded or came up with that assessment. If it Sig's computer, then it's time for Sig to go back to aerospace engineering. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who did the Orioles bring in at the major league level and made swing adjustments that made them a significantly better hitter with less than 5 percentile EVs. What magic pixie dust do you believe the Orioles possess that works on major league hitters and what players have they improved?

Why doesn't that dust work on Mountcastle and Hays? 

I know this is your site, but laughing at my post that wasn't in response to anyone, calling anyone out, or being negative in any way isn't cool.

To answer your question, I've heard that Frazier DID try swing adjustments to get more lift in Seattle. That clearly didn't work, so my "wager" is that the O's are going to ask him to return to his former approach rather than continue trying to lift the ball. I don't think that takes magic pixie dust. It's identifying what a player does better and asking him to do more of it.

And while you're bagging on Mountcastle, maybe you should go do your in depth scouting on his batted ball data last year. His EV, Barrell % and Hard Hit % all went up. His HR/FB went down. His Slg% was down ~60 points while his xSlg% was up ~50 points.

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The most positive spin I can put on this signing is there's a trade or two coming to address holes on the team and Elias is planning ahead. 

I may or may not be in there bargaining stage of accepting Frazier's contract. 

But literally Elias just signed a hole. And instead of it being an Odor $700K hole, it's now an $8 million hole. What trade is going to happen that will make you happy he's here? 

There is no situation where signing Frazier to be an everyday player on a contending team makes sense and I don't know what trade would suddenly change that unless that trade included sending Frazier to the other team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But literally Elias just signed a hole. And instead of it being an Odor $700K hole, it's now an $8 million hole. What trade is going to happen that will make you happy he's here? 

There is no situation where signing Frazier to be an everyday player on a contending team makes sense and I don't know what trade would suddenly change that unless that trade included sending Frazier to the other team.

No, even then I can't justify the signing, I'm trying to think of what was  Elias' thought process in deciding to pay Frazier $8M. The Orioles are overloaded with middle infielders and you could get rid of two players and still not have a need for Frazier. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s