Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Elvis Andrus and Jose Iglesias are the last, cheap FA SSs.  MLB Network was discussing the trade market for SS now that the big 4 have signed and never even brought up Mateo.  They mentioned Crawford, DeJong, Kiner-Falefa, Rosario and Tatis.  That last one is hysterical.  I hope we make a trade here but I don't believe there's much value.

I doubt those last two get traded and out of the others, Mateo was better in 2022 and has still has quite a bit of team control left.  Boston is an interesting fit. They struck out (or didn't even try) on all of the FA SS and moving Story over there at this point is a questionable move. 

9 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

It would be great to be able to trade Mateo for anything of value. I think Ortiz is going to be the superior player the moment he starts playing for the Orioles, so getting any sort of trade value for Mateo would be a big win, especially since he was a waiver wire reclamation project.

As much as the lack of free agent signings (and the underwhelming Frazier signing) have been disappointing, trading Mateo would be a fantastic move.

If the return was right yes. Can't be rolling the dice on international prospects or getting  Vavra/Nevin level prospects. 

So far, Bradish is all Elias has to show at the major league level from his trades of Bleier, Givens, Castro, Bundy and Iglesias. Vavra has a chance to play at the major league level if someone is willing to live with his defense at second base or he gets better in the OF, but Nevin is not a major leaguer no matter how long Elias keeps him on the 40-man roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the return was right yes. Can't be rolling the dice on international prospects or getting  Vavra/Nevin level prospects. 

So far, Bradish is all Elias has to show at the major league level from his trades of Bleier, Givens, Castro, Bundy and Iglesias. Vavra has a chance to play at the major league level if someone is willing to live with his defense at second base or he gets better in the OF, but Nevin is not a major leaguer no matter how long Elias keeps him on the 40-man roster.

Totally agree, if the return is right.

I know Mateo has a weak bat, but his super plus defense, speed, and ability to steal bases make him an attractive starting SS, unless you can find a 5 tool guy to replace him with.

Mateo is a very difficult player to gauge. He was a poor offensive player last year, but was still worth 3.4 bWAR. I don't think you get back what an offensively driven 3 WAR player would get you, but I also think some GM out there could value the defense and speed enough (and dream on the bat based on his month hot stretch) to give something of value back. 

Moving Mateo would then allow Urias to stay at 3B, Henderson to play at SS and Frazier to start at 2B until someone else proves themselves ready. It would make the Frazier signing make a bit more sense. 

10 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Mateo is a very difficult player to gauge. He was a poor offensive player last year, but was still worth 3.4 bWAR. I don't think you get back what an offensively driven 3 WAR player would get you, but I also think some GM out there could value the defense and speed enough (and dream on the bat based on his month hot stretch) to give something of value back. 

Moving Mateo would then allow Urias to stay at 3B, Henderson to play at SS and Frazier to start at 2B until someone else proves themselves ready. It would make the Frazier signing make a bit more sense. 

Mateo has to really play his ass off on defense and on the base paths to maintain that kind of WAR. Stealing bases will get a little easier next year, but infield defense is a little harder. If I'm another team, I have my doubts he'll be able to maintain that kind of production. I personally don't think his bat will suddenly come around, even though he can hit the ball hard at times. 

It's super hard to gauge his trade value. Like others, if the return is a Seth Johnson type or some kind of ML-ready guy, I absolutely pull the trigger. If it's low-minors fliers or young international guys, no dice. 

With the glut of high level middle infield prospects the Orioles have, taking offers on both Mateo and Urias makes a lot of sense.  And I think they both have quite a bit of trade value, more than most on here think. I like both of these guys, but if the return was strong enough I would trade them, due to the arrival of Ortiz, Westburg and now Frazier. 

1 minute ago, theobird said:

With the glut of high level middle infield prospects the Orioles have, taking offers on both Mateo and Urias makes a lot of sense.  And I think they both have quite a bit of trade value, more than most on here think. I like both of these guys, but if the return was strong enough I would trade them, due to the arrival of Ortiz, Westburg and now Frazier. 

I like trading Mateo over Urias because Urias is dependably good at 3 infield positions and has the better bat. Would I entertain trading both, sure, but you're starting to roll the dice with your infield depth at that point and putting a lot of eggs in the Westburg/Oritz basket. 

40 minutes ago, tabletop said:

I can't wait for the Elias special - multiple low ranked prospects where they are regarded as long shots and maybe one of them is a AAAA player.

When has he traded anyone who has been a highly regarded player?  They were all dealt before he took over.