Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

The Twins still seem like one of the best landing spots to me. Or maybe Atlanta (as someone suggested in another post) if they don't believe in Grissom. The Red Sox would be a good fit too (I don't think they want to play Story at SS), but their minor league system is pretty barren. 

I don't think the Braves have a top 100 prospect in the minors anymore (they promoted them all last season). Their best MiLB SP is probably  Jared Schuster. I'd say that would probably be a pretty even one for one swap. 

The Twins have Sonny Gray and Tyler Mahle , who could be possible one year rentals if we are trying to win now. I'd like our starting rotation A LOT more with one of them penciled in as the #2 or #3. 

Steamer and its cousin algortihms haven't seen enough, but here's hoping a few other GM's have.    Value probably moves quite a bit depending on whether he's viewed as the world's 20th or 30th best shortstop for next summer.

Its adjacent to the great Is Gunnar a Shortstop question.

Elvis Andrus, Jose Iglesias....pshaw.

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Twins have Sonny Gray and Tyler Mahle , who could be possible one year rentals if we are trying to win now. I'd like our starting rotation A LOT more with one of them penciled in as the #2 or #3. 

Also Kenta Maeda - they didn't put him back into the game as they fell out of it, but at the end of the year his health trend was UP to Mahle's DOWN.

Bailey Ober or Joe Ryan are probably a bridge too far.

Edited by Just Regular

Finally some trade smoke. I hope there's a fire. It only makes sense to sell high with our SS depth. 

Totally unclear to me what you can get in return though. Like is he a guy you get a couple prospects for or could he land someone to help the team this year? Mateo doesn't have the biggest track record. 

Edited by interloper

The BTV algorithm still counts his value so small as to be negligible, but if the market gave him the same +$10-$15 million value that the algorithm already gives Joey Ortiz, then it guesstimates ballpark matches like:

LAA Jimmy Herget

ARZ Merrill Kelly if you feel extra frisky    (maybe give them Urias too, and let both throughbreds play next to Frazier)

MIN Trevor Larnach      (a player I believe could have been Mike Elias' "Not Grayson Rodriguez" pick were he here for the 2018 draft)

MIA Edward Cabrera

Until typing this, it hadn't really occurred to me that Ramon Urias isn't necessarily that much worthier a roadblock to slow Jordan Westburg than Adam Frazier is.    I think that one's the endowment effect flavor of bias.

Edited by Just Regular

It would be great to be able to trade Mateo for anything of value. I think Ortiz is going to be the superior player the moment he starts playing for the Orioles, so getting any sort of trade value for Mateo would be a big win, especially since he was a waiver wire reclamation project.

As much as the lack of free agent signings (and the underwhelming Frazier signing) have been disappointing, trading Mateo would be a fantastic move.

• Upvote 2

My feeling on this offseason is that we actually have a lot of internal options to improve our club with prospects coming up...this is true for both the infield and the rotation. So if I'm Elias I'm not going to be pressured into doing anything. I am only trading Mateo for a strong return, however you define that. Same with Urias. If we can't get the starting pitching we need, then I go into next season with Henderson at third, Mateo at short, and either Urias or Frazier at second base. 

I would definitely be interested in several of the Twins starters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

It would be great to be able to trade Mateo for anything of value. I think Ortiz is going to be the superior player the moment he starts playing for the Orioles, so getting any sort of trade value for Mateo would be a big win, especially since he was a waiver wire reclamation project.

As much as the lack of free agent signings (and the underwhelming Frazier signing) have been disappointing, trading Mateo would be a fantastic move.

Great post, I agree with this 100%.  I too would trade Mateo in a heartbeat if I got a decent package.  I'm not giving him away obviously, but if any team is valuing him as a 3.5+ish WAR player and is wiling to trade us value as such, especially to shore up our starting pitching, then I absolutely trade him.  

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Question is are teams trying to bid low given the Orioles middle infield depth. Mateo has value, but he might be worth more remaining on the Orioles at this time.

Given the depth Elias has built up in the farm system, I'm hoping we do see a trade to address getting a pitcher or a plus bat into the lineup.  

The Orioles are the one in the position of strength here. Let teams come to them. 

Elvis Andrus and Jose Iglesias are the last, cheap FA SSs.  MLB Network was discussing the trade market for SS now that the big 4 have signed and never even brought up Mateo.  They mentioned Crawford, DeJong, Kiner-Falefa, Rosario and Tatis.  That last one is hysterical.  I hope we make a trade here but I don't believe there's much value.