Eovaldi signed with Rangers per Moose

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now I'm not saying this is the case here.

I really don't want to go to bat for Eovaldi.

Sometimes you have to pay more than you think something is worth in life.

Good deals aren't always available.

Sometimes you wait for the market to come to you and it never does.

Sure.  And sometimes you have to figure is what you currently have better than overspending for the new shiny toy.  I don't hate Eovaldi, and I wish he was on our team.  But at these rates I'm not sure I can fault looking at our starting pitching, some of the guys who were surprises last year like Voth and Bradish, and think that the small upgrade of Gibson versus Lyles, having Grayson in the rotation and getting Means back makes overspending for a guy like Eovaldi, with everything that's considered with health, draft pick loss, etc, something not worth considering.  There were other deals that we should have matched or possible even bettered.   I would love to know what we offered Taillon, Anderson, Quintana, Stripling and Eflin, as those are all deals I'd maybe consider matching or bettering before this Eovaldi deal.  Either way, another guy off the board who isn't coming to Baltimore.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also it’s a two year deal not a huge commitment and to the the larger market teams Eovaldi’s contract is a rounding error. Also the Orioles have caved in the past with Ubaldo and Cobb two pitchers the fans weren’t exactly clamoring for when they were signed to four year contracts.

I don’t think Elias is deciding on his own to be cheap it’s clearly coming from ownership. I can only hope it’s because the club is being sold soon, but it just might be the lawsuit between Lou Angelos and the rest of the family. 

I’m tired of the constant debate on here about if it’s Elias who’s cheap or if it’s whatever Angelos is in charge that’s cheap. 

The people in the “Elias is cheap” camp seem to think that all he cares about is his farm system rankings and that’s it.  Or they want to believe that he’s not being allowed to spend what we’d all like him to spend. The people who are in the “Angelos is cheap” camp love to beat a dead horse and are too lazy to think otherwise. Beating up on an Angelos has become a Baltimore pastime. 

All of this is to say that it doesn’t matter who’s cheap; Elias, the Angelos Bros, one, the other, both…it doesn’t matter. 

The organization is cheap. They could have done this deal. They could have done the Bassitt deal. 

This is pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m tired of the constant debate on here about if it’s Elias who’s cheap or if it’s whatever Angelos is in charge that’s cheap. 

The people in the “Elias is cheap” camp seem to think that all he cares about is his farm system rankings and that’s it.  Or they want to believe that he’s not being allowed to spend what we’d all like him to spend. The people who are in the “Angelos is cheap” camp love to beat a dead horse and are too lazy to think otherwise. Beating up on an Angelos has become a Baltimore pastime. 

All of this is to say that it doesn’t matter who’s cheap; Elias, the Angelos Bros, one, the other, both…it doesn’t matter. 

The organization is cheap. They could have done this deal. They could have done the Bassitt deal. 

This is pathetic. 

The Angelos family’s reputation is well deserved and I would love to be proven wrong seeing them sign or trade for big contract players.

Maybe Elias is some kind of weirdo, but I doubt he has a budget of $100M for 2023 team payroll and is refusing to spend it.

The one constant the last 30 years is the poor stewardship of the O’s by the Angelos family. Until they change or sell the team things aren’t going to change. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Truly, I don’t understand this off-season.  Just treading water, but spending some unnecessary dollars as well on mystery pieces like Frazier.  Bizarre stuff. 

This is where I question Elias the team has middle infielders that can produce on a level comparable to Frazier. Maybe Frazier is a slightly better player than the other depth in the system, but he’s a lot more expensive too.

Why not combine Frazier’s and Gibson’s contracts and use that money to land a better starting pitcher. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Damn, Texas really wants to win and win NOW.

Good for them. It's nice for fans when their team wants to win. Hopefully Orioles fans will get to experience that feeling again some day 😆

And yet, it was all of three months ago when the season ended and the Orioles had more wins than the Rangers.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather my team won.  And not just wanted to win.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And yet, it was all of three months ago when the season ended and the Orioles had more wins than the Rangers.

Texas doesn't just want to win, they are trying to win, unlike the Orioles.

And last year was literally an accident, we were still trying to tank.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Sure.  But the Orioles should have signed Eovaldi if all it took was 2 years 34 (I understand the incentives can make it more).  He would be an upgrade over whoever the fifth starter is right now (Wells/Voth).  It is pathetic that with as low a payroll as they have, they could not do this. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So they could’ve passed up all of the replacement activity and afforded this guy.

Maybe the Frazier signing for $8M made it so Eovaldi was out of their price range.  Laughably pathetic if the Orioles cannot afford $8M and $17M contracts, but also laughably pathetic insofar that Frazier was not nearly as necessary as someone like Eovaldi.