Eovaldi signed with Rangers per Moose

wildcard

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

To be fair, Eovaldi wasn't going to "save this offseason" either. Really, the offseason is only "saved" by the Orioles going out and winning. 

Right.  Outside of signing Rodon or Verlander, what was going to really move the needle?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What were you hoping/expecting?

My best case scenario was something like sign Bassitt/Taillon and trade for Pablo Lopez.

My expectations were similar to that. I would have been very satisfied with, say, Quintana, Walker, and JDM or Bassitt, Lopez, and Justin Turner or Flexen, Syndergaard, and Conforto. In other words, nothing particularly extravagant or unreasonable, but it turns out that that was actually entirely unreasonable because we are apparently still in the "1 year deals for reclamation projects" phase despite our record last year.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eovaldi instead of Gibson >>>>>>>> Just Gibson

That’s a lot of arrows!   I wouldn’t have given it more than 2, given Eovaldi’s health track record.   That said, Gibson alone is clearly not enough of an upgrade to our starting pitching.   

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They aren’t trading for a starter that likely greatly moves the needle. Best case is Pablo Lopez who is good but not great. He has upside though.

But Pablo Lopez doesn’t save this offseason.

I can’t think of anything that they would realistically do that can save the offseason. They have completely botched this and have given the team no momentum that they built up.

Actually, I think that a rotation that includes Lopez, Rodriguez, Hall, Gibson and Bradish could be substantially better than we ended the '23 season with and be a significant improvement.  Pushing lower end starters like Wells, Kremer, and Voth to the bullpen would make a strength even stronger.  Depending on who is included in any such trade, I'd be pretty pleased with that roster going into next season.

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

if they were going to not try, then I would rather they didnt pretend and skip signing Gibson and Fraizer.

We know why the Gibson signing happened… to mitigate risk. Gibson was the dude that didn’t want to wait around and be the last one standing. So he took the money. We wanted a Lyles replacement, and to have a bird in hand before the 2nd tier pitching options started flying. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. Eovaldi’s carrer ERA + is 101.  BUT Gibson is more likely to keep you from dipping into the Zimmerman types.

It's 107 during that same 2016-2022 period.

And I didn't want Eovaldi anyway, but he is clearly the superior pitcher when healthy. Obviously that is a big caveat in his case.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It's 107 during that same 2016-2022 period.

And I didn't want Eovaldi anyway, but he is clearly the superior pitcher when healthy. Obviously that is a big caveat in his case.

Yeah, it’s just the “when healthy” part.  Nobody doubts he’s a better pitcher than Gibson when he’s actually available.