Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Just to annoy you! 😉

Nice try.  lol

I think Elias looks to get back pitching in these types of deals as they are confident of drafting and developing the position players but I don't think you exclude talent of any kind just because you may already have depth in that area.    

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dumb this down for me.   What if anything does it imply or suggest from the Orioles’ point of view.  

Well first of all, if this is true, it means they are willing to discuss Cabrera and, to me, that represents the best possible option.

Secondly, Rodgers isn’t that good of a hitter but he’s an excellent fielder. Perhaps this means they would have interest in Mateo? If they are valuing up the middle defense in a trade, this could be favorable to us.

Im not saying we can get Cabrera for Mateo straight up but a deal built around those guys is very appealing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/marlins-have-pursued-triston-casas-in-trade-talks-with-red-sox.html

Fish in talks with Red Sox for young first baseman Tristan Casas. Wonder what Mountcastle could bring us back? 

I'm sure they have someone scouring the fan takes here on OH and you'd have to pay them to get them to take Mountcastle.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, if this is true, it means they are willing to discuss Cabrera and, to me, that represents the best possible option.

Secondly, Rodgers isn’t that good of a hitter but he’s an excellent fielder. Perhaps this means they would have interest in Mateo? If they are valuing up the middle defense in a trade, this could be favorable to us.

Im not saying we can get Cabrera for Mateo straight up but a deal built around those guys is very appealing.

What level of player would you add to Mateo for Cabrera if Uriah/Santander was ok?

Concerns about regression for Cabrera or confident in Os coaching staff to keep his trajectory moving upward?

Edited by pdiddy

1 hour ago, pdiddy said:

What level of player would you add to Mateo for Cabrera if Uriah/Santander was ok?

Concerns about regression for Cabrera or confident in Os coaching staff to keep his trajectory moving upward?

I think Cabrera is a high upside aero. Whether he taps into that upside remains to be seen but he’s the type of guy that I would be looking to add.

I dont think Santander and Mateo for Cabrera is enough for the Os but I don’t think the Marlins need to add much.

As for other guys, it just depends. Does Miami really not want prospects?  Do we need to move Santander in a different deal for another position they prefer?  

Here is where I have no doubt.  There is a deal to be worked out with Miami. Now, the unknown is how much each team is valuing their guys but there is no doubt there is both motive and a match to get something done, even if it means involving another team.  Just have to be creative.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/marlins-have-pursued-triston-casas-in-trade-talks-with-red-sox.html

Fish in talks with Red Sox for young first baseman Tristan Casas. Wonder what Mountcastle could bring us back? 

Unfortunately Moutncastle and Casas aren't comparable players. Casas is worth almost twice as much as Mountcastle. Mountcastle + "might" be enough for Luzardo, but we'd have to include a pretty good second piece.

This rumor is is pretty interesting, in that it contradicts an earlier report that the Marlins were looking to trade for MLB ready pieces. Casas has nice upside, but I'd say he's far from a proven MLB player.  

Edited by HakunaSakata

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mountcastle makes a lot of sense. Probably have players we could put at first. Mountcastle and Mateo to Miami would be a good start.

But the Orioles supposedly do not want to trade major league players, or add position players via free agency that could help.  So it seems their bizarre strategy this offseason and stubbornness may preclude a realistic trade with the Fish. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

But the Orioles supposedly do not want to trade major league players, or add position players via free agency that could help.  So it seems their bizarre strategy this offseason and stubbornness may preclude a realistic trade with the Fish. 

Well if they don’t want to trade ML pieces and Miami doesn’t want prospects, you bring in a 3rd team.

That said, Mountcastle could be different because he can be replaced on the roster and they could still sign Hosmer if they want as well.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well if they don’t want to trade ML pieces and Miami doesn’t want prospects, you bring in a 3rd team.

That said, Mountcastle could be different because he can be replaced on the roster and they could still sign Hosmer if they want as well.

Yes, lots of options.  Let's hope the Orioles are creative and open enough to make something work with Miami

14 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Unfortunately Moutncastle and Casas aren't comparable players. Casas is worth almost twice as much as Mountcastle. Mountcastle + "might" be enough for Luzardo, but we'd have to include a pretty good second piece.

This rumor is is pretty interesting, in that it contradicts an earlier report that the Marlins were looking to trade for MLB ready pieces. Casas has nice upside, but I'd say he's far from a proven MLB player.  

I agree.   Casas might turn out to be better than Mountcastle, or he might not be.   He certainly appears major league-ready, and with 6 years of team control, may be more attractive than Mountcastle, who’s only under control for four years.