Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They have a need for Mullins, Mountcastle, one of Mateo or Urias and Santander.

They want freaking Arraez for Lopez. Urias can't compete with that. Mateo can't hit. We're not trading Mullins or Mountcastle because it creates enormous holes. It's not a fit IMO. 

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We reportedly tried out Santander at 1B during practice last year but never actually played him there in a game, which would seem to imply that they did not like what they saw.

I wouldn’t go that far. We don’t know and we also don’t know if you had him dedicate time there how that would be different. 

Just now, interloper said:

They want freaking Arraez for Lopez. Urias can't compete with that. Mateo can't hit. We're not trading Mullins or Mountcastle because it creates enormous holes. It's not a fit IMO. 

Because what they reportedly want has worked out well for them.

Look, maybe they keep everyone but they aren’t moving their guys for what they are trying to get. If they were, it would be done.

• Upvote 1

At this point it sounds like Minnesota is only offering Kepler, Boston isn’t offering Casas, and St. Louis isn’t offering Gorman. So I think we fit in a multitude of ways,

Mateo at SS

Urias at 3B

Mountcastle at 1B

Santander at RF/DH

Hays maybe at CF some

It just depends on what they want. They’re are stop gap FAs still out there to cover openings created depending on who we trade. Mancini, Profar, and Duvall. 

On a side note since we’re digging into Miami’s roster… Did anyone else see that Lewin Diaz was ranked as their #6 prospect in 2021 and all he did was have good AAA seasons in 2021 and 2022. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

So you're solution is to have the team play a guy at 1B who's never played 1B before? Yeah, that seems like a perfectly reasonable solution. Maybe we can just play Felix Bautista there (big target!) and switch him in to pitch in the 9th.  

My solution is to obtain a potential TOR young arm (Cabrera) because that’s more important first base.

We can figure out first base. Santander and Stowers are part of that potential solution. Or maybe Westburg. Or maybe you bring back Mancini.

Either way, there is no question what the bigger need is and that is the need that should be solved. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

My solution is to obtain a potential TOR young arm (Cabrera) because that’s more important first base.

We can figure out first base. Santander and Stowers are part of that potential solution. Or maybe Westburg. Or maybe you bring back Mancini.

Either way, there is no question what the bigger need is and that is the need that should be solved. 

If we could somehow trade Mountcastle and one of Hays/Urias for Lopez and their comp pick, then we should be doing back flips. Then immediately call Mancini. Gotta do something though before Mancini goes elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh yea…I forgot about Hays.  Make that 6 guys they could use on the Os.

They could use a lot of guys, I don't disagree there. I just think the O's aren't willing to deal from positions of poor depth (CF, 1B). And that guys like Hays, Urias, Mateo, and Santander don't really move the needle for Miami by themselves. Does Hays + Urias get it done? Ehhh, I'm sure someone would beat that.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

They could use a lot of guys, I don't disagree there. I just think the O's aren't willing to deal from positions of poor depth (CF, 1B). And that guys like Hays, Urias, Mateo, and Santander don't really move the needle for Miami by themselves. Does Hays + Urias get it done? Ehhh, I'm sure someone would beat that.

No, they don’t move it by themselves. But no one is suggesting a 1 for 1 deal with those guys either.

Hays has put up a much better total WAR than Kepler the last two seasons. Plus has more control left. The Marlins gave us a comp pick last year. 

Mountcastle and Hays for Lopez and Comp pick 

Then we ride with some combo of Mancini and Westburg at 1B with Stowers in LF full time, and Cowser real close. Maybe even sign a stop gap LF like Adam Duvall. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Who is more valuable to the Orioles?   A good starter who can pitch 180 innings or a RF/DH who can hit 30 homers.  We can argue but I think that’s a no brainer for me.   I think that makes the rotation and bullpen stronger at the same time.  Stowers to RF, Cowser at Norfolk.  Revolving door at DH.

I don’t disagree we need the starter. I just think the time to deal Santander was earlier. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

I know people don't think he breaks any news but Roch literally wrote in his blog from yesterday that they have talked. If they really wanted Mateo or Urias I'm sure this would be done already. They probably (correctly) think they can hold out for better hitters than either of those two. If for some reason, no one else bites, it could happen. 

The Marlins are loaded with starters in the majors and minors, and the Orioles have been in contact with them. There’s motivation to stay in touch. Miami's player asking price might not be a match, though trading Miguel Rojas could help.

Fair enough.  I really don't read Roch's blog unless it's posted here and I missed that.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Do the Marlin's seem like they're a defensive minded player away from contention? Urias and Mateo are also old by baseball standards so there's really no reason to believe they have much more room for growth either. I'm not saying they're worthless players, I'm just saying that I can't imagine that two older players who basically came out of no where last season to have solid season largely driven by their defense really have much trade appeal outside of our organization. 

The Marlins won 69 games last year.  They need talent, period.  

Urias and Mateo are 28 and 27.  I'm not sure that's "old" by baseball standards.  Adley's about to turn 25 so we should look to trade him now before he gets too old with that logic.

Urias is a 109+ for his career, was at 103+ last year.  He's not Manny Machado with the bat but he's not completely inept, either.