Goodbye Lewin Diaz

Bahama O's Fan

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

What about Zimmermann? I think he goes before Cano or Vallimont, unless there is some big breakthrough in Zimm taking to the “secret sauce.” lol

I think Zimmermann's ability to provide starting pitching depth, and the fact he battled some injuries will keep him around longer than the other guys.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cano, Vallimont, and Politi, are all three RH relievers that I’d give up wayyy before thinking about Khreibel. 

I actually like Krehbiel too. I think the team is intrigued by Cano and Vallimont and their ability to harness the raw stuff. Zimmermann is out of options, I believe, so that’s a concern as well. 

6 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

FYI, Krehbiel was a replacement level reliever last year. He did start strong and collapse, so there's upside, but I'm not going to cry if we end up cutting him

The whole body of work is important, but I think he’s pretty good when he’s healthy. Might have been a little over-used at the end. I like the different look that he is compared to the others, but he is replaceable. 

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

The whole body of work is important, but I think he’s pretty good when he’s healthy. Might have been a little over-used at the end. I like the different look that he is compared to the others, but he is replaceable. 

I'd certainly cut a few other pitchers before him, but I don't think he's earned a long leash

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cano, Vallimont, and Politi, are all three RH relievers that I’d give up wayyy before thinking about Khreibel. 

Just to be clear, they weren't in order of who should go first, just the four names that I thought are now on the bubble if more players are added. I really haven't done side by side comparisons.

• Upvote 1

Cubs just designated Alfonso Rivas.  Seems like a step up from Diaz to me.  Left handed batting 1B/corner OF with some MLB experience and 2 options remaining.  Is he worth a waiver claim?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/cubs-claim-anthony-kay-designate-alfonso-rivas.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rivasal01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2022-12-23_br

Edited by Number5
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Cubs just designated Alfonso Rivas.  Seems like a step up from Diaz to me.  Left handed batting 1B/corner OF with some MLB experience and 2 options remaining.  Is he worth a waiver claim?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/cubs-claim-anthony-kay-designate-alfonso-rivas.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rivasal01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2022-12-23_br

He is short and not that good of a hitter for a 1B.  Pass

47 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yikes how is he an upgrade to anything? He's a 5-11 slap-hitting, oppo-hitting, first baseman without power, without a big time OBP skill, who has really poor expected stats. I'd say he's a hard pass for me, which of course means Elias will probably grab him! lol

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yikes how is he an upgrade to anything? He's a 5-11 slap-hitting, oppo-hitting, first baseman without power, without a big time OBP skill, who has really poor expected stats. I'd say he's a hard pass for me, which of course means Elias will probably grab him! lol

Sorry.  I looked at his .405 OBP in AAA last year and his MiL career .391 OBP and thought that wasn't bad.  My untrained eye thought he has outperformed Diaz in his MLB tastes, as well.  Just thought I'd bring it up.  You know far more than I.  If you say he's not worth grabbing, I guess he's not.

21 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Sorry.  I looked at his .405 OBP in AAA last year and his MiL career .391 OBP and thought that wasn't bad.  My untrained eye thought he has outperformed Diaz in his MLB tastes, as well.  Just thought I'd bring it up.  You know far more than I.  If you say he's not worth grabbing, I guess he's not.

The lack of power is a problem, especially for a first baseman. He's slow, has a bad arm, and is really a bit like Vavra without the ability to play 2B at all. 

OBP is a too skill that's hard to translate to the majors without some power because major league pitchers will eventually just challenge those kinds of hitters since they won't hurt them much. We've seen that time and time again, and unless a player brings plus defensive skills at a key skill position, speed, or some other factor, they really end up AAAA kind of guys.

Just judging by his baseball savant metrics as well as his lack of success in the majors, I don't think he would be a guy that would much of an upgrade to anything. Plus, from an offensive standpoint, there are no more low hanging fruit players to take off the 40-man roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1