Goodbye Lewin Diaz

Bahama O's Fan

On 12/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tony-OH said:

Diaz has 343 major league plate appearances to show he can't hit major league pitching. His 5% sprint speed and 1% arm strength say he needs to stick at 1B unless you want worse than Mancini like outfield work. His EVs are average and his MAX EVs are ok, but not amazing. He's the kind of guy you can kick the tires on but if you need room, like the Orioles did, he's a guy you can DFA. 

Now, the most interesting part in all of this is Diaz is the last position player tat I would shrug my shoulders if we lose. With him and Nevin gone, the guys on the bubble would now be pitchers in Krehbiel, Politi, Cano or Vallimont.

I hear you ….but those at bats are spread over three years. I’d like to see someone hand him the 1st base job and give him a season. Maybe it still doesn’t work but sometimes that’s all it takes. He still has just over half a season of at bats in the bigs. 

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis was just DFA’d by the Braves. Any chance we claim him, after just trading him for cash?  

Who would they DFA to make room? Maybe they trade another off the 40 man. I mean the whole thing was to try to pass him through waivers at some point since he’s out of options. There is no role for him on the major league team at the moment. I don’t see it, but who knows this off season. More moves to befuddle the masses, I guess. lol

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear you ….but those at bats are spread over three years. I’d like to see someone hand him the 1st base job and give him a season. Maybe it still doesn’t work but sometimes that’s all it takes. He still has just over half a season of at bats in the bigs. 

If this was a few years ago, I'd be all in. I think as a supposed contender, we need to do better.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

If this was a few years ago, I'd be all in. I think as a supposed contender, we need to do better.

Agreed.   I think some team is going to be able to get him to AAA eventually, give him 300-500 AB's and see if he can improve his hitting a bit.   The power (39 homers in 160-170 AAA games looks like it's there and supposedly he's slick around 1B.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it’s fair to say that the O’s are not a supposed contender anymore. We’ve graduated from tank mode but it’s still high unlikely we are actually a contender after this offseason. 

With that being said, I think they should claim Diaz again if they can. If he has a bad spring then he may be able to clear waivers around that time and if he looks good then we can move Mountcastle to DH and possibly move on from him if he continues his trend of getting worse every year. 

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed.   I think some team is going to be able to get him to AAA eventually, give him 300-500 AB's and see if he can improve his hitting a bit.   The power (39 homers in 160-170 AAA games looks like it's there and supposedly he's slick around 1B.

He had a really good year in the International League last year, so it’s not like he put up bloated PCL numbers. I’d rather have Diaz on the 40 man roster, and go through ST, than Gillaspie or Politi. Diaz could get a ton of ST ABs. 

• Upvote 1