MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Brewers bite on that immediately agree and consummate the trade. If you can get Burnes for that package it's practically a no brainer. 

Zero chance they'd agree to that deal unless Elias takes their GM out for drinks and gets him blackout drunk.

4 hours ago, orioles22 said:

One prospect , a Gold Glover and a couple of young pitchers with potential.

Hays is a slightly above average COF, Urias is currently a bench piece/part time player on a 4th place team, Kremer is realistically a #4 starter, and Voth is a 30 year old scrap heap guy with a career 87 ERA+ who is already arb eligible.

If they are trading their ace (they aren't), they are going to want young, cheap, high end talent in return. 

• Upvote 1

As much as I like Burnes and this seems like a fair deal, I am not sure I would do it this year.  The Orioles have a lot of guys that they need to find out about this year.  Last year could have been a bit of a mirage record-wise.  After this year, especially on the pitching side, they should have a much better idea of what they have and what they need.  I also think most of the guys listed in this trade will become more valuable in the market and not less, so I wouldn’t be scared to wait a bit.  

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Zero chance they'd agree to that deal unless Elias takes their GM out for drinks and gets him blackout drunk.

Hays is a slightly above average COF, Urias is currently a bench piece/part time player on a 4th place team, Kremer is realistically a #4 starter, and Voth is a 30 year old scrap heap guy with a career 87 ERA+ who is already arb eligible.

If they are trading their ace (they aren't), they are going to want young, cheap, high end talent in return. 

While I agree that the Brewers would never trade Burnes for that level of talent I think that is the point.   The O's trading away 5 to 6 years of talent of their prospects is probably too much to get Burnes  for 2 years from the O's perspective.

I do think your desription of the O's players in this post is very negative.  Kremer is not  4th starter with a 3.23 ERA and a 1.2 WHIP.  Voth is not a scrap heap player under Holt. And Urias is a GG 3rd baseman.    You can be negative all you want but it does not add to the creditable of your post when you go that far.  A little balance  would add to your argument IMO.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree that the Brewers would never trade Burnes for that level of talent I think that is the point.   The O's trading away 5 to 6 years of talent of their prospects is probably too much to get Burnes  for 2 years from the O's perspective.

I do think your desription of the O's players in this post is very negative.  Kremer is not  4th starter with a 3.23 ERA and a 1.2 WHIP.  Voth is not a scrap heap player under Holt. And Urias is a GG 3rd baseman.    You can be negative all you want but it does not add to the creditable of your post when you go that far.  A little balance  would add to your argument IMO.

You are advocating for balance?

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think this undersells Urias, a gold glove winning 3B who can also play the middle infield positions and has been worth 5.6 rWAR in 213 games.  I’m not suggesting the Brewers would do the trade.  I just don’t like it when Urias is dismissed in this way.  He’s criminally underrated IMO.    Possibly by the Orioles’ own front office.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think counting on Bradish and Kremer to repeat or improve their performance next year is a mistake.  I’d much prefer an upgrade.  

You have to get some growth from these guys. They both got their feet wet this past season. Kremer was pretty dam good most of the season and Bradish was good the second half.

I wonder if Braves said the same things back in the day about Glavine, Smoltz, Millwood etc. 

If we don’t get sone growth from our home grown guys we are probably in trouble. Hopefully both improve some and Wells does better and stay healthy. I know you can expect a perfect storm .

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this undersells Urias, a gold glove winning 3B who can also play the middle infield positions and has been worth 5.6 rWAR in 213 games.  I’m not suggesting the Brewers would do the trade.  I just don’t like it when Urias is dismissed in this way.  He’s criminally underrated IMO.    Possibly by the Orioles’ own front office.  

Criminally!   We have a lawyer would is going to send posters to jail for their posts.

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Urias was a 3.6 WAR player with 2.0 of that being OWAR and he won a gold glove. He’s been worth 5.6 in 690 ABs. He’s cheap and under control until 2027. This is always valuable to low to mid revenue teams.

I think you are seriously undervaluing him. But carry on with your spooge. 

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is one of those things you look back at in 2 years and say.

1. Damn, I wish we had done that OR

2. Thank God we didn’t do that OR

3. I can’t believe we were actually thinking of doing that

No doubt. We see all the time “can’t miss” Guys become nothing.  Or guys get hurt. Or guys who you think are just ok become really good.

All of it is a gamble for sure. Just have to play the odds.

8 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I didn't say that. I said I think Ortiz will be a very good shortstop for the next decade or so, or perhaps he plays second with Mateo or Holliday.

Gotcha... I guess I was addressing my concern regarding his age. He will turn 25 next year. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to bet on his success in 5 years yet alone 10.

Holiday (aged 19) on the other hand, would seem to be a more reasonable bet for future long-term success.

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

I am sorry but I am not trading that much for a guy for 2 years. That’s foolish. I think people grossly under estimate Colton Cowser. He has star potential 

I think his ceiling is probably mid-career Nick Markakis. Which is certainly valuable, but I'd hardly call him a star