Roch forgets about Maverick Handley

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It might be wrong because its just my opinion.  But there is nothing unfair about it.

If you make a list of the top players in the Orioles minor league organization..........and person X accuses you of 'forgetting'  Druw Jones.............. that is not a fair criticism.   You would simply correct that person about their mistake, right?  Then hopefully everyone would just let it go and go on their merry way.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

If you make a list of the top players in the Orioles minor league organization..........and person X accuses you of 'forgetting'  Druw Jones.............. that is not a fair criticism.   You would simply correct that person about their mistake, right?  Then hopefully everyone would just let it go and go on their merry way.

I'd never forget notable Oriole Farm hand Druw Jones.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.   Roch’s article was about the battles in camp for a major league job.  Handley is not a candidate for one.  Roch mentioned in passing the catchers listed on the AAA roster.  Handley isn’t on the AAA roster.   I don’t think Roch forgot Handley exists, or was implying anything about Handley’s chances to get a promotion to AAA, either at the start of the year or later.   There’s certainly no hurry, since McCann is signed for two years.

Roch says that Bemboom is the likely primary starter at AAA.  I disagree with that.   I think Handley is.   Bemboom is a 32/33 year old veteran mostly minor leaguer.   Handley is a Elias drafted back up catcher prospect that needs playing time to get to the majors.    Handley is reportedly a good defensive catcher.   He probably plays a lot at AAA.

So yes I disagree with Roch that Bemboon is the primary starting catcher at AAA and he forgot to mention Handley as even a possibility IMO.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't consider Handley to AAA  this coming season a reach at all.  If he can duplicate his AA offensive stats he will make it to the majors as a backup catcher. 

769 OPS is hard to find for a good defensive  back up catcher.

It’s a reach to complain that Roch forgot something here, which is the title and premise of your thread.

This is starting a thread just to start one.

The better question would have been, can Handley force his way onto the ML team this year if he plays well and McCann struggles like he did in 2022?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a reach to complain that Roch forgot something here, which is the title and premise of your thread.

The better question would have been, can Handley force his way onto the ML team this year if he plays well and McCann struggles like he did in 2022?

If that is the thread you want then post it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.   Roch’s article was about the battles in camp for a major league job.  Handley is not a candidate for one.  Roch mentioned in passing the catchers listed on the AAA roster.  Handley isn’t on the AAA roster.   I don’t think Roch forgot Handley exists, or was implying anything about Handley’s chances to get a promotion to AAA, either at the start of the year or later.   There’s certainly no hurry, since McCann is signed for two years.

Interesting that McCann is the only Oriole right now that has a contract for next year. Givens has a mutual option. McCann would also be the highest paid Oriole at $12,150,000. Mets are paying $11 mm. this year and $8 mm. next year. So a $4 million or so increase for payroll  next year unless they trade him. Liftoff in the future.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You think the Orioles would eat the $4.15 mm. due next year for McCann if he struggles?

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

You think the Orioles would eat the $4.15 mm. due next year for McCann if he struggles?

I don’t think the Os are paying him 4M next year? (Or are they paying him basically nothing this year and next year it’s higher?)

Either way, if he sucks and is a complete liability and you have a far better option who is young and costs nothing, yes I could see it.

McCann May be a bad year away from retiring.

I have been beating the Handley drum since May of 2021, at least. I wanted him up for Severino, because he wasn’t a catcher. Then move to backup for Adley. If he put up his AA numbers at the MLB level, he could be a starter for most MLB teams. 
I can’t stand Roch and refuse to read any of the garbage he puts out there. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I have been beating the Handley drum since May of 2021, at least. I wanted him up for Severino, because he wasn’t a catcher. Then move to backup for Adley. If he put up his AA numbers at the MLB level, he could be a starter for most MLB teams. 
I can’t stand Roch and refuse to read any of the garbage he puts out there. 

I think they are taking their time and slow cooking Handley.  It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if we have a glut of catchers coming up in the next 2-3 years.  The old adage of the importance of catchers and short stops has rung true for a century now.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't consider Handley to AAA  this coming season a reach at all.  If he can duplicate his AA offensive stats he will make it to the majors as a backup catcher. 

769 OPS is hard to find for a good defensive  back up catcher.

Okay, so if Handley makes it to AAA this year, great.  But you're also acting like his OPS will carry across all levels.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think the Os are paying him 4M next year? (Or are they paying him basically nothing this year and next year it’s higher?)

Either way, if he sucks and is a complete liability and you have a far better option who is young and costs nothing, yes I could see it.

He makes $12,150,000 per year. The Mets are giving the Orioles $11 mm. this year and $8 mm. next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Roch says that Bemboom is the likely primary starter at AAA.  I disagree with that.   I think Handley is.   Bemboom is a 32/33 year old veteran mostly minor leaguer.   Handley is a Elias drafted back up catcher prospect that needs playing time to get to the majors.    Handley is reportedly a good defensive catcher.   He probably plays a lot at AAA.

So yes I disagree with Roch that Bemboon is the primary starting catcher at AAA and he forgot to mention Handley as even a possibility IMO.

I just don’t think the point of the article was to discuss who will be the primary backup C in Norfolk.   

As to that question, my guess is that C at Norfolk will be a timeshare operation. Last year they used 9 different catchers and nobody caught more than 57 games.  At Bowie, Handley caught slightly more than Roberts but neither caught 50% of the total innings.  Even if he’s on the Norfolk opening day roster (which I think is probable but not certain), I doubt he’ll catch half the innings there, either.   

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not with $12,150,000 still to be collected. McCann very well may not be on the Orioles next year depending on how his year goes this year, but he hasn't made the money in his career to give $12,150,000 back to anyone.