2023 Orioles: Rank Team Strength (poll)

now

2023 Orioles: Rank Team Strength (poll)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the 2023 Orioles will most drive its success?

• Offense
    • Defense
    • Rotation
    • Bullpen

As with the overall question, there's wiggle room in how league rankings shake out, depending on which metric you choose. Here are AL rankings for the 2022 O's in some selected stats:

Hitting (OPS+) - 10/15
Fielding (Rtot) - 9/15
Pitching (ERA+) - 7/15
Rotation (QS%) - 14/15
Bullpen (SV%) - 1/15
Bullpen (IS%) - 12/15

Bullpen evaluation is a case in point. The save % seems to confirm my own poll answer (bullpen), but when it comes to inherited runners the ranking drops to 12th, not so impressive. I'll still gamble and go with the always unpredictable bullpen. Agree that the rotation could make or break the team's fortunes, however, and it's my dark horse pick to succeed beyond expectations. 

14 hours ago, now said:

Which part of the 2023 Orioles do you feel will be its strength?

The offense, defense, starting rotation or bullpen? Choose one preference. Roster as it's currently constructed.

The poll question was worded differently, but based on this explanation I voted for the defense.  It’s the best part of the team.  I think whether the team has a successful season or not hinges more on how the starting pitching does, but that’s not your question as I understand it.  

None of the above? Defense and bullpen will probably be the biggest strengths, but you still need to score runs to win, and you need the rotation to put you in the position to win.

By bbref WAR, the position players put up 22 WAR (oWAR 19.1 vs 3.1 dWAR) compared to pitchers 16.2 (starters about 6 WAR vs bullpen 10 WAR). Fangraphs also gives us 18.9 WAR from hitters vs 11.9 from pitching (with majority bullpen). Both seem to favor our bullpen vs starters, but I would predict some regression from the bullpen, and Grayson is going to be a huge boost to the rotation. 

Then again our .669 OPS and 674 runs scored were both #20 in MLB, whereas team ERA was #17. Basically I see us as a pretty balanced, average-ish team. 

• Upvote 1