Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

Holy smokes. They are going to pay him $1.4 million? 

Good Lord... 

Let's see the Optimists (is that an acceptable term) spin this one. 

This smells of Odor. He's a guy we think has no role on the team and ends up generally an everyday player while OPSing in the low .600.

This offseason just keeps getting worse and worse. Actually, its becoming quite embarrassing once again.

But I'm sure the Orioles must have an exquisite one of kind evaluations system that has determined this guy will "bounce back". 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Ironically, he’s cheaper than O’Hearn, since the Red Sox/Padres are on the hook for his salary for a couple more years.  And, he’s significantly better than O’Hearn, even if he’s grossly overpaid by those teams.   I didn’t want him, but I’d rather have him than O’Hearn.  

How many at bats does he want? How many are the Cubs offering him?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ironically, he’s cheaper than O’Hearn, since the Red Sox/Padres are on the hook for his salary for a couple more years.  And, he’s significantly better than O’Hearn, even if he’s grossly overpaid by those teams.   I didn’t want him, but I’d rather have him than O’Hearn.  

Good points.  Agreed. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord... 

This smells of Odor. He's a guy we think has no role on the team and ends up generally an everyday player while OPSing in the low .600.

This offseason just keeps getting worse and worse. Actually, its becoming quite embarrassing once again.

But I'm sure the Orioles must have an exquisite one of kind evaluations system that has determined this guy will "bounce back". 

The Orioles' use of limited funds this offseason has been absolutely baffling.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord... 

The optimist in me says he plays 1B for Norfolk, and comes up if he's setting the world on fire and Mountcastle implodes.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m amazed we went after this guy when he’s making more than the major league minimum.  What does he have to offer?

You better watch out, the Optimists will come after you if you doubt their baseball King. 

Think about this for a bit. 

We left 2022 all exciting, being told we were going on a liftoff from here on out. 

Since then Elias has added one good reliever in Givens, replaced Lyles with Gibson, and now has added Frazier and O'Hearn for a combined $9.4 million. 

Can't make this offseason up.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord... 

Where are the everyday at bats for him coming from? This is a 26th man move. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How many at bats does he want? How many are the Cubs offering him?

I didn’t mean to suggest we could have persuaded him to sign with us rather than the Cubs.  I’m just saying he would have been preferable to O’Hearn.  The Cubs had a .626 OPS at 1B last year, and .688 at DH.  Hosmer should get plenty of playing time there.  

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord... 

Struggling to understand why anyone thinks he will be on the 26 man roster. They're paying him to take a look at what he can do in Norfolk based on his previous status as a prospect with big power, etc.

Even veteran posters like yourself are letting this off-season get to you. Nothing about this move suggests he is going to play any kind of major role on the big league squad. He's just a depth guy. He even has an option! Not sure what all the fuss is about. Who cares if he makes twice the minimum? That's still an extremely paltry amount.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The Orioles' use of limited funds this offseason has been absolutely baffling.  

Baffling is as good a definition of this offseason as any that I can come up with. 

I've been an Orioles fan for 47 years (assuming I knew what being a fan meant around 5) and I'm not sure I've seen a more baffling offseason. 

Sometimes you see moves and you think, low cost, no downside, why not give it a look. Then you find out he's actually on a $1.4 million contract which means he's probably got a good chance to make the team. 

Remember when they signed Odor and we thought they would just kick the tires and then he ended up the starting second baseman almost all season? Yeah, that was for about half of what O'Hearn will make.