Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Has anyone said McCann is going to get regular at bats or are you just making that up?

Multiple people have stated that the McCann trade will not be an upgrade over Chirinos if he gets ABs at 1B/DH. It's pretty common around baseball to have bench guys fill in on rare occasions at 1B or DH in certain matchups/precarious points in the season. 

My point is, every single one of these depth/bench signings and trades has led to dozens of pages of complaining at the prospect of these guys getting meaningful at bats. It's not possible for all of them to get meaningful ABs. I think it's possible that over the course of the season McCann or O'Hearn get a couple starts at 1B/DH but that's not abnormal. The best teams in baseball will have guys start for them at some point who their fans hate. 

10 minutes ago, LTO's said:

It's not possible for all of them to get meaningful ABs. 

I saw Rougned Odor get 426 at bats last year.

I SAW ROUGNED ODOR GET 426 AT BATS LAST YEAR.

Four hundred annnndddd tweeeenty siiiiiiiiix at bats.

They will find a way to get bad players at bats because they have shown a propensity to do so.

19 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Multiple people have stated that the McCann trade will not be an upgrade over Chirinos if he gets ABs at 1B/DH. It's pretty common around baseball to have bench guys fill in on rare occasions at 1B or DH in certain matchups/precarious points in the season. 

My point is, every single one of these depth/bench signings and trades has led to dozens of pages of complaining at the prospect of these guys getting meaningful at bats. It's not possible for all of them to get meaningful ABs. I think it's possible that over the course of the season McCann or O'Hearn get a couple starts at 1B/DH but that's not abnormal. The best teams in baseball will have guys start for them at some point who their fans hate. 

Ok, so you did make it up. Got it.

And yea, if McCann gets 20-40 games over at DH and first and he is a sub 700 OPs guy, that will kill his value. When you suck at hitting at positions whose value is only with the bat, that hurts you. 

The Os shouldn’t be giving starts and at bats to players who aren’t good and aren’t apart of the future unless injuries occur.

Santander should be left handed first baseman.  Or even try Stowers there.

Any plan that pushes young promising talent to the bench for poor, aging, go nowhere talent is a stupid one. That’s all this boils down to. 

Anyone who believes those younger players should lose at bats to the players the Os have brought in shouldn’t be posting on a site like this. There is ZERO justification for that.

Now, if Westburg/Ortiz get over 800 at bats and Stowers gets 500 at bats, so be it.  That’s what matters. 

Right now, those numbers seem pretty unlikely to me.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

They will find a way to get bad players at bats because they have shown a propensity to do so.

He got 360 ABs with a 92 win Yankees team the year prior. He will probably regularly play somewhere this season. I'm not trying to defend Odor but the idea that someone like Vavra would be a meaningful upgrade over Odor if given 430 ABs seems delusional to me. Pretty much every evaluator seems to believe he's a AAAA type guy who could flash briefly when he has some BABIP luck. He would probably get on base more but have much less power and he isn't a much better fielder.  He played so much for the same reason many bad players around the league play so much and that's because it's hard to find good players. And the prospects you're sure are better can often times be worse. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is so hard to get past.  I know they want to win.  But playing Odor defies logic.  It comes off as they don't want to win.  I don't get it.  I don't know much about McCann or O'Hearn, but I get scared that they are going to get far more at bats than people suspect.  Far more.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude, you watched ALL OF THEM?

Get help.

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He got 360 ABs with a 92 win Yankees team the year prior. He will probably regularly play somewhere this season. I'm not trying to defend Odor but the idea that someone like Vavra would be a meaningful upgrade over Odor if given 430 ABs seems delusional to me. Pretty much every evaluator seems to believe he's a AAAA type guy who could flash briefly when he has some BABIP luck. He would probably get on base more but have much less power and he isn't a much better fielder.  He played so much for the same reason many bad players around the league play so much and that's because it's hard to find good players. And the prospects you're sure are better can often times be worse. 

Odor is a AAAA player 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who should have played in his place? Vavra?  He would not be on most peoples projected 26 right now. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Who should have played in his place? Vavra?  He would not be on most peoples projected 26 right now. 

Gunnar should have come up earlier, or yea, Vavra should have gotten an opportunity earlier. 

Odor was pretty rough, but he did produce some fond memories. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But you also have to understand injuries will be worse this year. That we don’t know if guys who played over their heads in 2022 will continue to do so.

The team may be better because of the young guys and how they improve. It’s not better because of what Elias had done to improve the ML roster this year.

McCann May be better.  Great. If they use him properly, I’m sure he will be. But if he plays too much and they take Adley away from behind the plate too much, he will hurt the team. Nevin played too much.  Maybe we have someone better. Or, maybe like most teams, they will still be running out negative WAR guys.

Lets  just stop acting like this bench is some kind of a difference maker. It’s not and even if it is, it will be at a detriment to the everyday lineup, so overall there’s no improvement. 

If injuries will be worse than why is it bad to have more depth? 

If the bench plays well it will be a detriment? 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Now, if Westburg/Ortiz get over 800 at bats and Stowers gets 500 at bats, so be it.  That’s what matters. 

Right now, those numbers seem pretty unlikely to me.

Agreed. I get if injuries disrupt, that's fine. But I don't want young talent riding the pine for this nonsense.  I'm trying not to get frustrated, and just trust the front office.  But it doesn't seems promising.

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I don't think Odor plays anywhere in the bigs this year.  He'll be lucky to get a cup of coffee somewhere.

Vavra would have been a meaningful upgrade.  Yes, he has no power but at least he has an idea of what to do at the plate instead of swinging from his heels every time.  Vavra walked 12 times in 89 at bats.  Odor walked 32 times in FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIIIIIIX at bats.  

I would have gladly traded Vavra's OBP skills, overall plate approach and middling defensive skills over Odor's hacking and questionable defensive skills last year, gladly.  Power is overrated when you can't do much of anything else and Odor's 13 homers last year weren't enough to bump him into positive WAR territory.