Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

39 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Well, if the Royals were on the hook for all 1.4mill and we offered to cover 500k (or whatever) that is net cash going to the Royals essentially.  I don't know, but I would say the math checks out.  Would be interesting to know.  Certainly would up the chances his option was used.

If the Royals were covering part of his salary the cash would be going from KC to the Orioles.    In this case it almost seems like the Orioles are covering the 1.4M and KC might get some money depending if and how long O’Hearn stays on the Orioles roster.  Similar to what Atlanta did regarding Lewin Diaz when they acquired him from the O’s.   Apparently, the Orioles were concerned someone else would claim O’Hearn.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

If the Royals were covering part of his salary the cash would be going from KC to the Orioles.    In this case it almost seems like the Orioles are covering the 1.4M and KC might get some money depending if and how long O’Hearn stays on the Orioles roster.  Similar to what Atlanta did regarding Lewin Diaz when they acquired him from the O’s.   Apparently, the Orioles were concerned someone else would claim O’Hearn.

Out of curiosity, what is it about this case that makes you say that it seems that the cash considerations are that the Orioles will pay the entire salary plus send more cash to the Royals?

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

More I think about it I think what you and Tony and others are saying is correct. 

When the Orioles acquired McCann it was “and” cash considerations not “for.” 

Someone else said they would have preferred Lewin Diaz and I agree.  Diaz has power and a better glove.  O’Hearn is a bit more proven.  O’Hearn might be an option in corner outfield which Diaz is not.  I think that’s why the Orioles prefer paying the extra 700K on O’Hearn.

We’re only paying him 700k over the league min. Just toss that out the window. That’s insignificant. So it’s basically a waiver claim of O’Hearn to replace Vallimont’s spot on the 40 man. A move to acquire depth at a position of need. Just adding depth. That’s simply what this move was. I’m sure we’ll continue to work the waiver wire. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

Someone else said they would have preferred Lewin Diaz and I agree.  Diaz has power and a better glove.  O’Hearn is a bit more proven.  O’Hearn might be an option in corner outfield which Diaz is not.  I think that’s why the Orioles prefer paying the extra 700K on O’Hearn.

They are paying the 700k for the ability to option O’Hearn to the minors. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Out of curiosity, what is it about this case that makes you say that it seems that the cash considerations are that the Orioles will pay the entire salary plus send more cash to the Royals?

Because that’s exactly what was written.   If KC was paying part of his salary, cash would be going from KC to Baltimore.

Prefer him to Nevin, although I would prefer figuring out whether Santander could backup first to either.

I don't know whether he is going to be a beneficiary of the new shift rules but that is at least a decent hypothesis. I like that he has an option. He has dreadful splits so he is a truly only an option against right handed pitchers.

If they don't make another move for backup first baseman (or give Santander a shot at it) and are penciling O'Hearn in for 300+ MLB at-bats then I am not a fan, if he is just another player in the mix and they aren't afraid of having a $1.4M first baseman at Norfolk if the cards fall that way, then I am not too worked up over it. 

I would prefer someone with more versatility, who could at least be better than Mancini in a corner outfield spot in a pinch and didn't swing a piano leg against left-handed pitching.

If he ends up in an Odor role where he gets 300-400 at-bats and is unable to play himself off the team despite many other (better) options, I will join the rest of the crowd with the pitchforks.

• Upvote 1