Next Friday (1/13) is the deadline to exchange arbitration figures

Frobby

Next Friday is the date by which arbitration figures are to be exchanged, if the teams and players can’t reach agreement.   The O’s have the following unresolved contracts:

Santander (Arb 3) MLBTR estimates $7.5 mm; Cot’s estimates $7.1 mm

Mullins (Arb 1) $4.4 mm; $5.0 mm

Hays (Arb 1) $3.1 mm; $3.75 mm

Mateo (Arb 1) $1.8 mm; $1.25 mm

Voth (Arb 1) $2.0 mm; $1.55 mm

Tate (Arb 1) $1.5 mm; $915 k

I’m guessing MLBTR is closer to correct on Hays and Mateo, while Cot’s is closer on Voth and Tate.   Santander and Mullins are something of a coin flip, I think.   I may try to dig deeper into these in the coming week.  

OK guys are you ready?

It's time for.........

BOLD PREDICTIONS.

I boldly predict that the O's will exchange figures with some of those players on Jan 13th.

Then I predict that Elias will be asked about arbitration negotiations in the media.    His response will be "We are a file and go team."    No more negotiations.

And finally......

Elias will continue to negotiate and reach agreement with all or nearly all of them without going to a hearing.

It's the circle of life................and it moves us all.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Just pay them whatever they want. It's nothing compared to salaries today. 

Regular plug that the CBA has allowed MLB to coordinate in its effort to keep the salary structure for 3-6 players smooth.     That's fine - it's in agreements, but GM's I believe actually get input from the league office whether Jorge Mateo should pull $1.3mm or $1.4mm.

I don't know if after the last round the League still gives a WWE style Championship Belt or some such to the Club that does the best with its Arb players.

I think raw Stolen Bases might be one of the things the arbitration panels are asked to evaluate, but not sure if in the fine print of the new CBA anything better reflective of on-field value was added.    I know newfangled WAR has some role in the new money for 0-3 guys like Adley and Felix.

At one point Elias gave out some kind of word salad quote how each increment matters because all the ensuing years work off that, blah, blah, etc.   

Last year coming out of the lockout Elias and Means arbitration-avoiding 2-year deal wasn't until mid-May.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/deadline-day-for-orioles-to-reach-agreements-with-arbitration-players

Roch gets one detail wrong here: the arbitration hearings will all take place between Jan. 30 - Feb. 17 this year, not during spring training as in the past.  That’s an improvement IMO.

I like the part where Roch implies the Orioles are trying to contend as a reason for not moving outfielders.   If you judge it solely on moves made this offseason, I'd be hard pressed to make that statement.   Now, I know the offseason is not over, but any of the outfielders he mentions should be available in the right deal.

58 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I like the part where Roch implies the Orioles are trying to contend as a reason for not moving outfielders.   If you judge it solely on moves made this offseason, I'd be hard pressed to make that statement.   Now, I know the offseason is not over, but any of the outfielders he mentions should be available in the right deal.

Eh, makes sense if they plan to add to the team at the deadline. 

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I think they are trying to contend.

Just not with money the way we want them to. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

5 actually - Santander, Hays, Voth, Tate, Mateo. 

Thanks. I miscounted my own OP.  Anyone know what time today is the deadline?   I think last year it was 4/5 pm EST.   I haven’t found any information on today.