Starting Pitchers Left? Want Any Of Them?

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Things are ever worse than I've feared if Gibson's 1 year/10M deal counts as a fisical disaster for the team.

Elias seems to want to strike quickly to secure whatever marginal free agent talent he's targeted, and Gibson did have another suitor.

I plead guilty to hyperbole.  At the time of the Gibson signing, the main critique most of us had was that there were other, better pitchers available.  Now, in hindsight we also know that there were other,  apparently better pitchers available for the same price or less.  Elias seems to have gotten fixated on Gibson and panicked/overpaid when he heard that Toronto also wanted him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I plead guilty to hyperbole.  At the time of the Gibson signing, the main critique most of us had was that there were other, better pitchers available.  Now, in hindsight we also know that there were other,  apparently better pitchers available for the same price or less.  Elias seems to have gotten fixated on Gibson and panicked/overpaid when he heard that Toronto also wanted him.

I keep telling myself (after a deep cleansing breath), "It's also the same thing we said about Lyles last year too."

I think O's should take a flyer on a low cost, low floor, mediocre ceiling FA SP to help supplement the pitching staff.  Wacha is a decent example.  Inventory and depth are good things.  That SP won't make a difference in a short series but could play dividends to the rest of the staff over a long season.  

Us or TB would be a perfect fit for Bauer. No big local media. He gets to fly under the radar. The team is still so young to have a leader that would have a beer. Adley is our leader, but I don’t see him objecting in year 2. 

I think what Bauer has done on his IG page with teaching mechanics and analytics was a smart move to show that he’s not just the guy from the incident. Good PR, I find his IG content entertaining and informative. 

Also, without locking this damn thread, there’s enough news stories with Sun and Post, so they will not hyper focus on this dude. In General,  nothing specific. I think it would be a sports section story for 1-2 days then go away.

My prediction is that he goes to TB, and finishes top 5 in the Cy Young. Which directly hurts our playoff odds. 

11 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

And Lyles turned out to be durable and mediocre.  The O's need to be aiming for more than durable and mediocre now.  

We got about the best version of Lyles.  The best version of Gibson is better than the best version of Lyles, and is better than mediocre.  Now, am I expecting the best version of Gibson (who has had three 3+ rWAR seasons) to show up?  Frankly, no.  But an average season for Gibson would still be a mild upgrade of what we got from Lyles, and an above average season of Gibson would be a pretty good upgrade.