Baseball America 2023 Top 100

RVAOsFan

I don’t care how many games Ortiz has at AAA. You essentially added Frazier because of his defense and Ortiz is likely as good or better defensively right now. He was drafted out of college and is “old” enough to be here.

As soon as he got healthy, he hit. I’m not willing to sit here and guarantee that he will hit great but I would bet on him having a similar WAR to Frazier.

He can continue to develop up here while being in the running for the GG.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care how many games Ortiz has at AAA. You essentially added Frazier because of his defense and Ortiz is likely as good or better defensively right now. He was drafted out of college and is “old” enough to be here.

As soon as he got healthy, he hit. I’m not willing to sit here and guarantee that he will hit great but I would bet on him having a similar WAR to Frazier.

He can continue to develop up here while being in the running for the GG.

The Frazier deal was the height of stupidity.  Thank goodness it was only a one year deal but I'd have rather given Ortiz or Westburg the job out of ST this year.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Frazier deal was the height of stupidity.  Thank goodness it was only a one year deal but I'd have rather given Ortiz or Westburg the job out of ST this year.  

Don’t sign Frazier..trade one of Urias or Mateo (or both..obviously this could still happen but it grows more unlikely with each passing day).

Start both of them.

• Upvote 2

I think Frazier, Gibson, McCann, Givens as well as Santander all have the chance of being traded at the deadline.    None of them are likely to get long term contracts from the O's.  And Elias would probably not want them to walk for nothing if he can get valuable prospects for them to keep the farm stocked.

Of course,  if the O's are in the pennant race and any of these players are playing a key role they will probably not be traded.  But I am not sure that Frazier will be key to the O's success.  More likely by July Ortiz or Westburg or Urias  will be ready to take his place.

I think Elias will always be playing the long game of trading veterans for prospects like he did with Mancini and Lopez last season.

• Upvote 2

Just now, wildcard said:

I think Frazier, Gibson, McCann, Givens as well as Santander all have the chance of being traded at the deadline.    None of them are likely to get long term contracts from the O's.  And Elias would probably not want them to walk for nothing if he can get valuable prospects for them to keep the farm stocked.

Of course,  if the O's are in the pennant race and any of these players are playing a key role they will probably not be traded.  But I am not sure that Frazier will be key to the O's success.  More likely by July Ortiz or Westburg or Urias  will be ready to take his place.

I think Elias will always be playing the long game of trading veterans for prospects like he did with Mancini and Lopez last season.

Those guys aren’t getting you “valuable prospects” except for maybe Santander.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Those guys aren’t getting you “valuable prospects” except for maybe Santander.

Mancini got us two good arms in McDermott and Seth Johnson.  I wouldn't bet against getting something of value if the players WC mentioned are doing well. 

15 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Can someone provide the writeups on the Os guys?

D.L. Hall

OriolesLHP
Notes:

Tools: Fastball: 80 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 70 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 40
Skinny: There are questions about whether Hall will end up as a starter or a reliever, but if he does end up in the bullpen, it should be as a truly dominating high-leverage reliever. His control can be shaky, but he generates tons of swings-and-misses with elite stuff.

• Thanks 2

Just now, mlrhode said:

D.L. Hall

OriolesLHP
Notes:

Tools: Fastball: 80 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 70 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 40
Skinny: There are questions about whether Hall will end up as a starter or a reliever, but if he does end up in the bullpen, it should be as a truly dominating high-leverage reliever. His control can be shaky, but he generates tons of swings-and-misses with elite stuff.

Connor Norby

Orioles2B
Notes:

Tools: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Field: 50 | Arm: 45.
Skinny: Norby hit at East Carolina and in three different stops in the Orioles system in 2022. He has a chance to be an above-average hitter with above-average power, which helps paper over some of the concerns about his glove at second base.

• Thanks 1