Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

.268 OBP for one of the worst defensive 1st basemen in the league. Can't wait until he's gone, he's regressed every single year

Mountcastle doesn’t hit enough to justify playing 150+ games as a 1B/DH. It might be different if Mountcastle could play a more demanding defensive position and hit at this level. 

Adam Jones still managed to hit .280+ with a slugging percentage hovering near .500 during his prime years. Mountcastle hasn’t shown that ability as another hitter that swings at everything like Jones did. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mountcastle doesn’t hit enough to justify playing 150+ games as a 1B/DH. It might be different if Mountcastle could play a more demanding defensive position and hit at this level. 

Adam Jones still managed to hit .280+ with a slugging percentage hovering near .500 during his prime years. Mountcastle hasn’t shown that ability as another hitter that swings at everything like Jones did. 

Adam Jones had a career wRC+ of 105.  Ryan Mountcastle has a career wRC+ of 110.   He’s down from that right now.  But I’ll take his career numbers over his 8 week numbers as the better indicator of what to expect.  

I am far from Miuntcastle’s biggest fan, but he’s an okay hitter for a 1B.  110 is the average wEC+ for a 1B.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Adam Jones had a career wRC+ of 105.  Ryan Mountcastle has a career wRC+ of 110.   He’s down from that right now.  But I’ll take his career numbers over his 8 week numbers as the better indicator of what to expect.  

I am far from Miuntcastle’s biggest fan, but he’s an okay hitter for a 1B.  110 is the average wEC+ for a 1B.   

Playing the match ups with mountcastle and ohearn, they could combine for a solid above average 1B

21 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Playing the match ups with mountcastle and ohearn, they could combine for a solid above average 1B

Yes, for the season Mountcastle has an OPS of 1.079 against lefties and an OPS of .571 against righties.  His career OPS LHP/RHP split is fairly even (.817 vs .749), but right now he's looking kinda like a platoon player.  As much as I complain about Mountcastle though I don't think he's platoon hitter.  He's just struggling more against righties now for whatever reason.

Here is the not great OBP sort among all MLB 1B.    The more well-rounded wRC+ is 23rd of 30.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=14,a

Iron sharpening iron and all, it does feel more and more each week like the change could be this season.

The Phillies I think could use him.

• Upvote 1

First base is a power hitting position. I don’t care about OBP but more about slugging percentage. Right now Monty is in the middle of the pack. He is our only true home run hitter. Hyde has dropped him to sixth in the lineup and personally I’m good with that until he turns it around. 

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Here is the not great OBP sort among all MLB 1B.    The more well-rounded wRC+ is 23rd of 30.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=14,a

Iron sharpening iron and all, it does feel more and more each week like the change could be this season.

The Phillies I think could use him.

That also rates him as the worst defensive 1B, which passes the eye test to me.

3 minutes ago, Os4days said:

First base is a power hitting position. I don’t care about OBP but more about slugging percentage. Right now Monty is in the middle of the pack. He is our only true home run hitter. Hyde has dropped him to sixth in the lineup and personally I’m good with that until he turns it around. 

I care about both.  There are good stats that properly weight OBP and SLG.  93 wRC+ is very bad for a 1B.  I expect improvement so I’m willing to wait it out with him, but his performance this year hasn’t been good.  

I said this in the game thread tonight:

Funny thing is that Elias released Renato Núñez at 26-years old after he slashed .256/.324/.492/.816 in 2020. He ended up getting just 55 more major league PAs. The year before Núñez slashed .244/.311/.460/.771 with 31 home runs and 90 RBIs.

Mountcastle is 26 years old and slashing .237/.271/.452/.723. He slashed .250/.305/.423/.729 with 22 home runs as a 25 year old.    

Basically Nunez was a better hitter than Mountcastle at both 25 and 26 years old. What makes anyone think Mountcastle is part of the future here or really should still be an everyday player?

Mountcastle has slashed .199/.237/.336/.573 against right-handers this year. The league figured out how to get him out as he's gotten worse the longer he's been in the league.   

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I said this in the game thread tonight:

Funny thing is that Elias released Renato Núñez at 26-years old after he slashed .256/.324/.492/.816 in 2020. He ended up getting just 55 more major league PAs. The year before Núñez slashed .244/.311/.460/.771 with 31 home runs and 90 RBIs.

Mountcastle is 26 years old and slashing .237/.271/.452/.723. He slashed .250/.305/.423/.729 with 22 home runs as a 25 year old.    

Basically Nunez was a better hitter than Mountcastle at both 25 and 26 years old. What makes anyone think Mountcastle is part of the future here or really should still be an everyday player?

Mountcastle has slashed .199/.237/.336/.573 against right-handers this year. The league figured out how to get him out as he's gotten worse the longer he's been in the league.   

Yep, you know Mountcastle drives the front office crazy.   Imagine what this team will be like when we have three more guys as selective as Adley and Gunnar