Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a fan.

I've been a vocal fan but we've seen this from him before.

This could be him turning a corner or it could just be one of his hot steaks that turns ice cold for weeks at a time.

I hope it's the former.

I’m taking credit, since I was at the game and also attended his 3-homer game a couple of years ago.  

I’ve predicted a good year for Mountcastle, but it won’t be defined by how he does when he’s hot.  We all know he can go on month-long tears.  His year will be defined by whether he can shorten his cold spells and avoid prolonged slumps.  Ask me in September.  

• Upvote 3

Interesting what the long range plan is for Mountcastle. Nor arb eligible till 2024 and free agent till 2027.

Looking at Kjerstad at Bowie,he has played 2 games at first and 2 at DH. Not sure if they look at him as the future first baseman or has a slight injury and don't want him moving around in the outfield. Only played four games so we shall see 

He is obviously playing incredibly good at the moment.  Problem is, we've seen very hot streaks from him before, and then he goes ice cold for an extended period.  If he could not crash quite so bad and lower the amount of time he is cold, then we could be a great, long term asset.  That's all obviously easier said than done.  

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

He is obviously playing incredibly good at the moment.  Problem is, we've seen very hot streaks from him before, and then he goes ice cold for an extended period.  If he could not crash quite so bad and lower the amount of time he is cold, then we could be a great, long term asset.  That's all obviously easier said than done.  

Exactly.  And we’ll see, maybe this is the year he does it.  

Ryan’s second hit of the game was on a pitch well below the strike zone. Yet he stuck with the off speed pitch and lined an rbi single. Pretty impressive awareness and game impact with last night’s plate appearances, including the sac fly. Hope this is a sign of continued growth and consistency 

• Upvote 1

Mountcastle has some of the best hands at the plate that I've seen in awhile. Like Costanza-esque. He can get the barrel to inside pitches like a champ. 

His pitch recognition leaves a bit to be desired, and that isn't likely going to get a whole lot better. 

He's a pretty good player.

49 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

The walks haven’t improved much early on. That’s still a concern.

I don't expect them to.  I don't think he's ever going to be a high walk guy.  He will always be swinging at low and outside sliders.  If he ever has an OBP north of .345-.360 it'll be propped up by a high batting average.

IMO, that'll be what separates him from being a truly great hitter...I think he'll have some fantastic seasons, but since he's whiff prone, pitchers will get him to chase and I don't see that changing.

That said, I do believe he's looked slightly more patient at the plate this year.  Not enough to make a huge difference but I wouldn't be surprised if his pitches per plate appearance is a little higher this year.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't expect them to.  I don't think he's ever going to be a high walk guy.  He will always be swinging at low and outside sliders.  If he ever has an OBP north of .345-.360 it'll be propped up by a high batting average.

IMO, that'll be what separates him from being a truly great hitter...I think he'll have some fantastic seasons, but since he's whiff prone, pitchers will get him to chase and I don't see that changing.

That said, I do believe he's looked slightly more patient at the plate this year.  Not enough to make a huge difference but I wouldn't be surprised if his pitches per plate appearance is a little higher this year.

No doubt. His OBP is all about BA. 

He is only a year older than Adley. Age 26 season. I had a hunch he was going to have a big year. Hope it keeps up. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I try to keep my expectations for Mountcastle reasonable.  He’s never going to be selective, and he’s always going to be streaky.  I’d just like to see cold streaks limited to 2-3 weeks at a time, rather than 4-8.   

At least he’s shedded the “always a slow starter” tag some people had put on him just because he had a slow start two years in a row.  So much for that alleged “pattern.”

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle has truly broken out. Everything is barreled. He had a smirk on his face last night every AB like he just knew he was locked in. 

Watching these young guys grow is fun. Dare I say we have some swagger now?  

They have some swagger against the A's.  They looked completely lost against the Yankees.

• Haha 1