Rank the four “big” offseason moves

Frobby

1). Irwin isn't a sexy pickup but 4 years of control for a LH innings eater is the most useful piece of the off season and personally, I don't think it is close.  That it came with another piece is even better.  That the move was inexpensive was even nicer.

2).  Gibson, is not sexy either, but he adds another innings eater at a nice price.  1 year deal means there is no long term commitment.  Everyone would have liked 2 better pitchers, but...these two are more than respectable.

3).  Trading for 2 years of McCann as back up catcher seems like a small deal.  But the bar of Chirinos isn't high and if McCann takes to clubhouse leader he can be like Odor....only contributing.

4).  Frazier, had driven everyone nuts, but he is a 1 year placeholder...just more expensive than some that we saw in the tanking years.  He will play until he is pushed out.  Could have been invested better, but I don't have a problem with it.

4 - 3 - 1 - 2.  

I like the Irvin trade as I think it made us go from a relatively shallow to a relatively deep (if unspectacular) rotation.  G-Rod's innings will have to be managed and this helps a lot.

I think the McCann trade is underrated.  Our backup catcher spot has been a black hole.  McCann was once considered a starter in this league before getting derailed a bit.  I think there is real lightning-in-a-bottle potential here given the SSS of a backup catcher.

Nothing wrong with signing Gibson, but essentially he just replaced Lyles who was decent.

Frazier seems to be solving a problem that wasn't there.  I also don't like that his history suggests it's more likely that he had one hot half-season and isn't that much of a bounce-back guy.  I hope I'm wrong.

For me these are all short term depth moves.   Their trade possibilities could add to the farm depth.

Gibson may be the Opening Day starter because of his experience but he could be traded during the season if Hall develops as a starter.

Frazier could be a really good #2 hitter if he hits like he did in 2021 but he could be traded when Ortiz or Westburg are ready to take over 2nd base.

Givens is a solid addition to the pen but I really liked the Hernandez acquisition and I'm waiting to see if he passes through waivers.  Hernandez seems to be in the mold of Bautista and Perez that Holt just needs him to quiet down  the walks.   Givens could be traded during the season.

Adding Irvin is a good depth move but I am not sure he will be as effective as Wells or Voth in the rotation.  If he is effective great.  If not he has an option.

McCann  will be pushed by Handley.   McCann has the experience to stay all season if he plays good defense.  Handley may be a September addition if not before.  If a contender loses a catcher in the 2nd half I could see McCann traded and Handley becoming the backup catcher.

All in all a full year of Adley, Gunnar and Grayson  are the needle movers.

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1. First acquisition of Lewin Diaz

2.  Second acquisition of Lewin Diaz

3.  Third acquisition of Lewin Diaz

4. Irvin

5. Givens

6. O'Hearn

7. Frazier

8. Gibson

9. Yes I am joking.

#4 should have been Bemboom!