ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No one is saying to veer off the plan. That is such a dumb argument.

The team  is ready to win now, which is exactly the position it should have been in when this started back in 2019. 

And now that it is, the idea that they aren’t trying their best to win is wrong.

Elias said he wasn't going to do anything to juke the chances of the 2023 team that might adversely affect the 2024-2025 teams.   So, his plan and your plan might be different.    In fact, I'm sure they are different. 

Edited by RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

Elias said he wasn't going to do anything the juke the chances of the 2023 team that might adversely affect the 2024-2025 teams.   So, his plan and your plan might be different.    In fact, I'm sure they are different. 

I’ve said this before, but I wish someone knowledgeable could sit with Elias and ask him detailed questions about various moves.   The stuff we get from his public statements and the media’s very general questions really doesn’t tell us enough. I’m sure Elias could give us a better explanation than we get to hear.  But, that’s not how it works.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve said this before, but I wish someone knowledgeable could sit with Elias and ask him detailed questions about various moves.   The stuff we get from his public statements and the media’s very general questions really doesn’t tell us enough. I’m sure Elias could give us a better explanation than we get to hear.  But, that’s not how it works.

I don't think the issue is the questions asked.  I reject the idea that if only the press would ask him the hard questions we'd get some hard facts.  He's not going to reveal propietary information, and he's not going to say anything that could be remotely twisted to criticize someone.  The issue isgoing to be the answers.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While you are wishing you might want to add a bit about forcing Elias to be honest and forthcoming with his replies.

If not I don't think we'd learn a lot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

While you are wishing you might want to add a bit about forcing Elias to be honest and forthcoming with his replies.

If not I don't think we'd learn a lot.

Sure, let's inject him with truth serum, hook him up to the lie detector, and threaten him with torture.   Such a dishonest fellow!

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias said he wasn't going to do anything to juke the chances of the 2023 team that might adversely affect the 2024-2025 teams.   So, his plan and your plan might be different.    In fact, I'm sure they are different. 

Yes, he doesn’t believe in this team to win in 2023.  I do.

My goal isn’t to win the Baseball America #1 system trophy every year.

That said, my plan also called for more young players than his, which also helps us more long term than those guys wasting away in the minors.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That said, my plan also called for more young players than his, which also helps us more long term than those guys wasting away in the minors.

He said the goal is to make the playoffs.  Clearly he believes in this team.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yes.   Take a poll and see how many people want you making the decisions.   I could use a good laugh.

Has he made the type of moves you would expect of a team whose GM is planning on a playoff run?

Something, something, actions louder words.

Isn't the complaint he spent too much money on a veteran?

Seems like it you fellas want it both ways.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Isn't the complaint he spent too much money on a veteran?

Seems like it you fellas want it both ways.

I don't expect teams prepping for a playoff run to sign middle infielders coming off of down years to a contract that will lead to them playing everyday when they have multiple well regarded prospects at AAA that can man those positions while not addressing the biggest need of the team.

So my position might be more nuanced than SPEND MONEY!

I don't expect teams prepping for a playoff run to sign middle infielders coming off of down years to a contract that will lead to them playing everyday when they have multiple well regarded prospects at AAA that can man those positions while not addressing the biggest need of the team.

Perhaps you were guilty of obfuscation.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What part of handing jobs to prospects screams out "We're all in!"

Again, ya'll want it both ways.