1/14 @ Miami

glenn__davis

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somebody said this not too long ago, and I'm going to respond the same way.

If this is a problem, then why didn't it affect Walt Williams, Johnny Rhodes, Joe Smith, Keith Booth, Terrance Morris, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake...?

The same reason why "sit down and shut up" worked for my grandfather growing up, but not with employees today.

We're in a different time now. The approach of screaming and yelling in an industrial hierarchal sort of mindset has had it's time, and may still work occasionally here and there. Overall, it is not what people want to play for anymore now days.

I've always liked Gary's intensity, it assures me and everyone else that he cares greatly. However, the greatest leaders (coaches included) adapt to their team, not the other way around.

Like some others have noted I also have become apathetic towards this program. I still watch the games and as it was getting tighter and tighter down the stretch I was again found myself on the edge of my seat but after the buzzard sounded it literally took me less than 5 minutes to get over the loss. 4 or 5 years ago I would have been upset and dwelling on this loss well into tomorrow. It's sad how my expectations have dropped so far that blowing 16 point leads in the last 12 minutes of games to unranked, mid- bottom teir ACC schools don't piss me off and devestate me.

We've all beat the Gary debate to death, pretty much everyone knows where everyone else stands. All I know is I want my passion for Maryland Basketball back. If Gary can do that, great. If it takes another coach, so be it. However, somebody needs to grab ahold of this program and get it back on track.

But you would think that if all of the yelling affects players that badly it would have affected someone else, right?

Who else? Danny Miller? Mike Jones?

Terrance Morris in his senior year? :rolleyes:

Do you wonder if there was maybe less ranting and raving back when we were a good team and consistently in the top 10-20 in the nation?

The ranting and raving hasn't done much since the 02-03 season, except for a fluke season back in 06-07 by a veteran team that had probably already tuned Gary out.

Do you wonder if there was maybe less ranting and raving back when we were a good team and consistently in the top 10-20 in the nation?

The ranting and raving hasn't done much since the 02-03 season, except for a fluke season back in 06-07 by a veteran team that had probably already tuned Gary out.

Gary Williams is the exact same coach as he was twenty years ago. If you don't see that then you weren't paying attention back then.

The same reason why "sit down and shut up" worked for my grandfather growing up, but not with employees today.

We're in a different time now. The approach of screaming and yelling in an industrial hierarchal sort of mindset has had it's time, and may still work occasionally here and there. Overall, it is not what people want to play for anymore now days.

So things have changed that much in FIVE YEARS?

Gary Williams is the exact same coach as he was twenty years ago. If you don't see that then you weren't paying attention back then.

Why is it a good thing to be the exact same coach twenty years running? Have you not learned anything or adapted to the people your coaching?

Coach K hasn't been the same coach for that long?

Lefty wasn't the same coach?

Bobby Knight?

When's the last time Bob Knight's been to a final 4?

Coach K has always talked about his adaptability through the years. Have his results stayed the same? Yes, because he's evolved.

Coach K hasn't been the same coach for that long?

Lefty wasn't the same coach?

Bobby Knight?

What worked for Bobby Knight in the 70's and 80's didn't carry through very well in the 90's and 00's, that's for sure.

I wouldn't put a Coach K in the same class as Gary Williams or Bobby Knight types.

This is the most accurate thing you've said in this thread. You are right, Williams is EXACTLY the same, but unfortunately, the game and times have changed and passed him by. It happens to a lot of great coaches, and I know it's hard for programs to accept this, but unfortunately, it'll take an upset fan base and boosters to finally make the needed change.

Archived