1/14 @ Miami

glenn__davis

Nope, it's my fault. I've watched two halves of Maryland basketball this whole season, the second half of the Morgan state game, and the second half of this game.

Needless to say, they've done nothing to change my mind about my opinion of this program. The only thing I can see is that I'm much calmer now that I've taken my heart out of this program. It will remain out until Williams is gone and I have a reason to look forward to better Maryland basketball.

Tell you what though, that McClinton can shot the ball. He was like that Morgan State guy that just lit up late while Maryland went into their usual shooting slump.

Oh well, another NIT and another year of people making excuses for Williams and this program.

I had a similar situation. I actually stopped watching this game because I saw us up 15 and completely dominating and thought there was no way in the world we could lose.

I'm also at peace in that I'm exactly the same in having taken my heart out of the program. Greivis missing that shot normally would have me depressed for hours. Now I just smiled that it moves us one step closer to getting rid of this now-awful coach.

The apologists will keep arguing, but I'm becoming more and more convinced even the national championship was just a hot streak. What have any of Gary's guys even done at the next level? Wilcox and Dixon were complete busts. Blake's been ok...Baxter's been running around getting arrested...who knows where McCray and Gilchrist are...Gary's been riding the coattails of that national championship for so long when he really hasn't molded any great basketball players or many great citizens.

Not only is he a horrible recruiter but now we can finally put to rest the nonsense about being a great in-game coach. He has great intensity, sure, but just about anyone and their mother can out-coach him in the second half nowadays.

Baltbird, I'm with you on Grant. GARY, PLEASE RESIGN. WE WANT GRANT!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The excuses don't start happening until March comes along...

I haven't really check in here much, but I'm sure people were talking about Maryland being back when they won a few non-conference games. I take no pleasure at all in this program becoming an afterthought in the ACC. Gary Williams had his day. I thank him for what he's done, but until he steps aside, this program will continue to wallow in mediocre middle of the pack at best ACC basketball.

Hell, hire Morgan State coach Todd Bozeman. He can recruit throughout the Baltimore area and would be an outstanding replacement.

The #1 issue with Gary is clearly recruiting and it's the one thing that Gary-backers cannot site as something he's had success with in the past...at least not consistently. His best recruit, probably, was Stevie Francis who was a one-and-done Ju-Co guy. The championship team's best recruit was probably Steve Blake.

He keeps waiting for the next Juan Dixon to come along, and it's costing our program with his silly notion of not wanting to recruit players who will only stay one year.

I had a similar situation. I actually stopped watching this game because I saw us up 15 and completely dominating and thought there was no way in the world we could lose.

I'm also at peace in that I'm exactly the same in having taken my heart out of the program. Greivis missing that shot normally would have me depressed for hours. Now I just smiled that it moves us one step closer to getting rid of this now-awful coach.

The apologists will keep arguing, but I'm becoming more and more convinced even the national championship was just a hot streak. What have any of Gary's guys even done at the next level? Wilcox and Dixon were complete busts. Blake's been ok...Baxter's been running around getting arrested...who knows where McCray and Gilchrist are...Gary's been riding the coattails of that national championship for so long when he really hasn't molded any great basketball players or many great citizens.

Not only is he a horrible recruiter but now we can finally put to rest the nonsense about being a great in-game coach. He has great intensity, sure, but just about anyone and their mother can out-coach him in the second half nowadays.

Baltbird, I'm with you on Grant. GARY, PLEASE RESIGN. WE WANT GRANT!

You know, I wonder if that "intensity" actually makes his players more stiff down the stretch. It's like you can see each guy who gets the ball in key moments down the stretch looking like they can't wait to give the ball up so someone else can take the shot.

It's sad really, but I wonder if getting yelled at all the time starts to wear on the guys and makes them play tight down the stretch.

You know, I wonder if that "intensity" actually makes his players more stiff down the stretch. It's like you can see each guy who gets the ball in key moments down the stretch looking like they can't wait to give the ball up so someone else can take the shot.

It's sad really, but I wonder if getting yelled at all the time starts to wear on the guys and makes them play tight down the stretch.

I bet Danny Miller would have a lot to say about that...

No matter what happened in the end, I feel better about the team then yesterday. We expected them to get blown out and not show up, they play a good 1st half and blow it. That still shouldn't be worse then being down by 10 and losing by 10 the whole game. I just wish they played Tucker more, Neal a little less, and Milbourne to hit a few more shots. Bowie and Vasquez did what they had to do. Hayes lost this game, he was the only one done from the start, but you expect that sometimes, hopefully he shows up against FSU. We beat them and we are right where we need to be. It would have been nice to steal this one but worse things could have happened. I thought this team was going to be terrible, but I like this team. I think they could be good next year. Although, at the end of this year, or end of next. A huge change will be for the program. An extremely good path or the exact opposite one, depending on what takes place in the near future.

Somebody said this not too long ago, and I'm going to respond the same way.

If this is a problem, then why didn't it affect Walt Williams, Johnny Rhodes, Joe Smith, Keith Booth, Terrance Morris, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake...?

The #1 issue with Gary is clearly recruiting and it's the one thing that Gary-backers cannot site as something he's had success with in the past...at least not consistently. His best recruit, probably, was Stevie Francis who was a one-and-done Ju-Co guy. The championship team's best recruit was probably Steve Blake.

He keeps waiting for the next Juan Dixon to come along, and it's costing our program with his silly notion of not wanting to recruit players who will only stay one year.

Meanwhile, when Gary does land a legit talent (Mike Jones) he'll ride the bench for three years only forcing his way into some playing time when another player is suspended.

Somebody said this not too long ago, and I'm going to respond the same way.

If this is a problem, then why didn't it affect Walt Williams, Johnny Rhodes, Joe Smith, Keith Booth, Terrance Morris, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake...?

Having a little bit of talent probably helps. Would you rank any of these current guys except for maybe Vasquez and Bowie in with Walt Williams, Joe Smith, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Terrance Morris, or Keith Booth?

Having a little bit of talent probably helps. Would you rank any of these current guys except for maybe Vasquez and Bowie in with Walt Williams, Joe Smith, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Terrance Morris, or Keith Booth?

But you would think that if all of the yelling affects players that badly it would have affected someone else, right?

Who else? Danny Miller? Mike Jones?

Terrance Morris in his senior year? :rolleyes:

Considering how poor of a shooting team we had back then, I'd say he should have had a bit more playing time than he got those first 3 years. It'd be nice to have a 40% three-point threat on this team.

It would also be nice to have someone who could create their own shot outside of an open three and defend.

Archived