O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Totally agree. I know I’d be calling for an end to it, or at least for the Orioles to not allow their players to play in the event. 

Guys get hurt every spring.

We all know spring training is longer than it needs to be.

Why not argue for a shorter spring training that will result in fewer injuries?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Guys get hurt every spring.

We all know spring training is longer than it needs to be.

Why not argue for a shorter spring training that will result in fewer injuries?

I’m fine with that too, but that’s a totally different argument for me. The WBC is taking the players away from the team I love to play for another team that I don’t particularly care about. If they get injured in spring training, at least they were playing for the orioles. 

I’d also imagine that players probably get injured far less in meaningless spring training games than in games that kind of matter to those who play. 

9 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I’m fine with that too, but that’s a totally different argument for me. The WBC is taking the players away from the team I love to play for another team that I don’t particularly care about. If they get injured in spring training, at least they were playing for the orioles. 

I’d also imagine that players probably get injured far less in meaningless spring training games than in games that kind of matter to those who play. 

I'd love to see any evidence to support that claim.  My guess is the injury rate is going to the same.

As to your other point...OK?  I'm not more OK with a player getting injured in a ST exhibition than a WBC exhibition but if you are....fine?

If Adley gets hurt today I'm not going to go..At least he didn't get hurt playing for team USA!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd love to see any evidence to support that claim.  My guess is the injury rate is going to the same.

As to your other point...OK?  I'm not more OK with a player getting injured in a ST exhibition than a WBC exhibition but if you are....fine?

If Adley gets hurt today I'm not going to go..At least he didn't get hurt playing for team USA!

I doubt the injury rate for celebrations is the same. I don’t think anyone is ever jumping up and down after a win in spring training. 

No one wants Adley getting hurt, regardless of what he’s doing. But I’d be a lot more upset if he gets hurt playing in games he didn’t need to be playing in, for a team he shouldn’t be playing for. And I’m pretty sure the owners would feel the same way. They pay them all that money to play for their team, not whatever country they are from.

But, I’ll admit, I probably feel this way mostly because I don’t care about the WBC at all. The world series is the only baseball championship that I care about. 

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I doubt the injury rate for celebrations is the same. I don’t think anyone is ever jumping up and down after a win in spring training. 

No one wants Adley getting hurt, regardless of what he’s doing. But I’d be a lot more upset if he gets hurt playing in games he didn’t need to be playing in, for a team he shouldn’t be playing for. And I’m pretty sure the owners would feel the same way. They pay them all that money to play for their team, not whatever country they are from.

But, I’ll admit, I probably feel this way mostly because I don’t care about the WBC at all. The world series is the only baseball championship that I care about. 

I posted an article in which the Mets were practicing on field celebrations in spring training.

How is that different than leaping 30 inches in the air after a win?

Adley doesn't need to play in as many Spring Training games as he does.  Did he need to play in the one he got hurt in last year? 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I posted an article in which the Mets were practicing on field celebrations in spring training.

Adley doesn't need to play in as many Spring Training games as he does.  Did he need to play in the one he got hurt in last year? 

Maybe teams won't let their guys play in the All-star game either!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did any players get hurt during the field celebration practice though?

Maybe if Diaz had been there to practice his celebrations… lol jk 

I think players need a certain amount of warmup before the season starts, but I totally agree that they don’t need to play as many spring training games. It’s more about him playing for a team that I don’t care about and who he isn’t under contract with. That’s why teams typically don’t allow players to play random pick up games and will try to get money back from players who get injured outside of team activities. 

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

You don’t think a practice celebration is different than a genuine celebration? Players can lose themselves in the excitement of a real celebration. 

Did the celebration look out of control to you?

They were making small hops while standing close to one another.

I've done as dangerous an activity while drunk and singing along to American Pie back in Germany.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've done as dangerous an activity while drunk and singing along to American Pie back in Germany.

It’s more of a mental thing. It’s not about how dangerous or out of control the activity is. Your brain can kind of feel disconnected from your body when you get that excited and emotional. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't out of control but he's not the first guy to get injured in a routine celebration. When you have 10+ professional athletes jumping around there is some actual risk there.

Really stinks for them but I wonder if they'd want to do a massive overpay for Cionel Perez.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Wasn't out of control but he's not the first guy to get injured in a routine celebration. When you have 10+ professional athletes jumping around there is some actual risk there.

Really stinks for them but I wonder if they'd want to do a massive overpay for Cionel Perez.

You also get guys that get hurt running to first base every year.

Ideally yea, you'd have a bunch of robots that would just calmly walk off the field after a big win.