Schoenfeld gives Os offseason a D+

Sports Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/35630053/2022-2023-mlb-offseason-grades-all-30-teams

Additions: RHP Kyle Gibson, LHP Cole Irvin, 2B Adam Frazier, C James McCann, RHP Mychal Givens

Departures: RHP Jordan Lyles, 2B Rougned Odor

I understand the process here ... but this feels like a missed opportunity. GM Mike Elias came from the Astros. The 2022 Orioles, who won 83 games, are similar to the 2015 Astros, a surprise wild-card team that year with 86 wins. Those Astros played the long game, however, not making significant additions from outside the organization until Verlander in 2017 and then Gerrit Cole prior to the 2018 season.

That's the approach Elias is using with the Orioles. With Gunnar Henderson and Grayson Rodriguez joining Adley Rutschman, the young core should be dynamic -- with others on the way. Still, this was probably the best free agent market that we'll see over the next few years and the Orioles' payroll is so low they could have afforded one of the free agent starters. Again, however: the Astros' blueprint. At some point, the Orioles are probably more likely to use their farm system depth to trade for a starter (as with Verlander and Cole) rather than commit nine figures. It means the 2023 Orioles will probably take a small step back, as the Astros did in 2016.

Grade: D+

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I understand the process here ...

I'd love to hear Schoenfeld's take on 'the process here' because I'm just guessing.  And I think the rest of us are too.  And then he goes on to compare the O's to the Astros and, well, I think they're on a pretty good long-term trajectory as an organization.  

For the record, I have no issues with a D+ either.  Especially as it compares with 'lift off' and expectations of a normal 'competitive window'.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I know I am an Elias "fanboy" but D+ is a little harsh. I like the McAnn and Irvin acquisitions, and don't entirely dislike Gibson, and doing nothing is better than a bad overpay. Frazier is the head scratcher and I would have preferred a bigger SP signing like everyone. I'm at C.

I'm a C too for basically the same reasons.  But can understand people giving a D+ considering expectations.

Like I said at the time, I felt the Irvin acquisition saved his offseason and made it a C for me. But it really depends on how you grade because if we graded off our biggest needs (TOR and MOO) he failed to deliver on either though Henderson or Rutschman could turn into the MOO and Mountcastle too with a rebound.

I'd give the offseason a C. The moves were the opposite of sexy but they were about raising the floor, not the ceiling. Upgrading a -0.5 WAR to a 1.5 WAR isn't as exciting as upgrading a 2.0 WAR to a 3.5 WAR, but they're worth 2 wins either way and the first is a lot cheaper.

I would've preferred more, but after a few seasons where the floor was well below replacement, it's nice to have a team with hopefully enough depth to avoid that.