Which O's players have the highest ceilings going forward

wildcard

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I didn’t say you did.  It was a question.  

High draft pedigree + high performances = highest ceiling.  In my world at least.  If those two had foundered at all, sure it could be up for debate.  But they have not.  They have the pedigree, they have the best tools, they have the highest ceiling IMO.  

Draft pedigree becomes increasingly less important as a professional resume is developed as a player progresses through the minors.

To the point really, where it is essentially irrelevant as a player ascends to MLB.

I think that was the point. And it was a valid one.

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are making the case for Holliday and Rutschman because their performance to date has justified their draft position.  That isn’t always the case.  I still think Gunnar has a higher ceiling than Holliday but I can understand someone disagreeing.

But in this scenario, answering the question what players in the Orioles system has the highest ceiling, it is the case.  

I'll take my chances with Holiday, who by all accounts looks to be on a better trajectory and significantly outperformed Gunnar at a younger age.  

Jackson Holliday Minor Leagues Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Gunnar Henderson Minor Leagues Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Edited by emmett16
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday might have a better hit tool than Gunnar which might give him the overall edge but Gunnar probably beats him in power, running, and arm.

Why would you say that?  At a younger age in the same league Holiday out slugged him, out hit him, out walked him, struck-out less, and hit for more power.

Edited by emmett16

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Why would you say that?  At a younger age in the same league Holiday out slugged him, out hit him, out walked him, struck-out less, and hit for more power.

Henderson, obviously made huge improvements in 2022.   Holliday might be a better hitter at 18-19 than Henderson was at 20 but that doesn’t mean he’ll be better in the long run.   Most players don’t make the leap Henderson did.   He walked more than he struck out at Bowie. That’s the hitter Holliday is now which is why Holliday might have the higher ceiling.  Henderson is the bigger, stronger man.   I don’t think Holliday will ever have as much power as Henderson.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Henderson, obviously made huge improvements in 2022.   Holliday might be a better hitter at 18-19 than Henderson was at 20 but that doesn’t mean he’ll be better in the long run.   Most players don’t make the leap Henderson did.   He walked more than he struck out at Bowie. That’s the hitter Holliday is now which is why Holliday might have the higher ceiling.  Henderson is the bigger, stronger man.   I don’t think Holliday will ever have as much power as Henderson.

Precisely. 

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course he is.  He's 30 months older.  They almost look like twins if you look at their age 18 y/o photos.  

59 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Of course he is.  He's 30 months older.  They almost look like twins if you look at their age 18 y/o photos.  

Haha.  Not even close.  Henderson is taller and has a bigger frame.   Holliday is maybe 6 feet tall.  I suspect he’s under by a bit.

Henderson is an inch to two taller than Rutschman.  Rutschman is 2-3 inches taller than Holliday.  Holliday is listed at 6’1.  Rutschman at 6’2.  Henderson at 6’3.  If you accept those that’s a 2 inch height advantage to Henderson.   I think someone is fudging Holliday’s height.