2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

AR is clearly in a hitting funk.  Would you leave him in the two hole?  I would not.  

To me the question with batting order is this.

Given how small an impact lineup order has, it it more advantageous to maximize player comfort? 

If Adley prefers hitting second let him hit second. 

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

AR is clearly in a hitting funk.  Would you leave him in the two hole?  I would not.  

14 hits in his last 47 ABs (.299), plus 4 BB is being in a hitting funk because he went 0-1 and 0-4 in last two games?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hicks DHing is pretty dumb. It would be better to have Cowser DH today. Cowser's 23 years old, he doesn't need a day off prior to the All Star break.

Hicks is a career .231/.330/.717 hitter and slightly below league average OPS+, and he's almost identically replicated that line in 2023.

Just play your most talented players. That's Cowser.

Hicks is hitting .263 this year with the Orioles and Colton is hitting .154.  I think it's okay to Hicks some at bats and Colton to maybe pinch hit in a key situation if needed.  I can even see Colton coming in for Santander late in the game.  It's all good.

That being said, I just like watching Colton play as much as possible myself.

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Hicks is hitting .263 this year with the Orioles and Colton is hitting .154.  I think it's okay to Hicks some at bats and Colton to maybe pinch hit in a key situation if needed.  I can even see Colton coming in for Santander late in the game.  It's all good.

Those stats for Hicks and Cowser are both SSS. Evaluate talent and play your best guys.

Hicks is getting too much playing time. Just like Mateo was and Frazier has. McKenna too earlier in the season.

Hicks isn't a good hitter. Hyde needs to stop treating him as such.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the question with batting order is this.

Given how small an impact lineup order has, it it more advantageous to maximize player comfort? 

If Adley prefers hitting second let him hit second. 

Adley's recent performance from the 2 hole does not exude "comfort".  Chris Davis preferred to hit 4th, and we know how that worked out.  

Maybe Adley needs some pressure taken off of him, because he's not looking very comfortable at all right now in the batters box.

You know, the Home Run Derby ruined Chris Davis the year he was in it.....I'm hoping Adley has the opposite result.....that's something we all should be hoping for.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because of injuries and Cowser/Westburg being in the minors, Hyde hasn’t gotten a chance to trot out this combo of players  

The A+ lineup is what I’m predicting  

1. Gunnar L SS

2. Adley S C

3. Santa S DH

4. O’Hearn L 1B

5. Hays R LF

6. Mullins L CF

7.  Cowser L RF

8. Westburg R 3B

9. Frazier L 2B 

Pegged it. It was the right balance of coffee. Haha. 

Santander and Hicks DH because they are SH. If we need to pinch hit for for a lefty late in the game, then Hyde can adjust the lineup defensively after the pinch hitter to do a double switch if need be. 

And Hicks and Santander are our oldest players. That’s why they DH. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, LA2 said:

14 hits in his last 47 ABs (.299), plus 4 BB is being in a hitting funk because he went 0-1 and 0-4 in last two games?

I was looking at the 4 for his last 18 with 7 strikeouts.  Just looked overmatched yesterday.  He's not driving the ball as we expect he can.

Could he be a bit tired and maybe use a couple of days off?  Sometimes it helps.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pegged it. It was the right balance of coffee. Haha. 

Santander and Hicks DH because they are SH. If we need to pinch hit for for a lefty late in the game, then Hyde can adjust the lineup defensively after the pinch hitter to do a double switch if need be. 

And Hicks and Santander are our oldest players. That’s why they DH. 

O’Hearn, Urias, McCann, and Frazier also are older than Santander, but I agree with your larger point.

19 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Those stats for Hicks and Cowser are both SSS. Evaluate talent and play your best guys.

Hicks is getting too much playing time. Just like Mateo was and Frazier has. McKenna too earlier in the season.

Hicks isn't a good hitter. Hyde needs to stop treating him as such.

If Cowser is 6 for his next 10 w/ 3 HR, he is going to the Hall of Fame.  0 for next 10, he's a bust and should be released.  This is the Hangout, we don't do no SSS.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Citing Hicks' BA for the Os is deceitful: his OBP is .372 and OPS+ 137. He has a phenomenal 17 walks on top of the 25 for 95 with 5 HR, 3 doubles, a triple, 3 SB, 19 R, and 14 RBI. Hicks has a  hit in each of his last 5 straight starts with an important sac fly when he PH in the other intervening game. Hasn't hit into a DP yet (big complaint of Y's fans abt him). Dontrelle Willis pointed it out during the Apple TV+ broadcast: Hicks' approach at the plate changed once he came over to the O's.