2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure that hitting Hays and Hicks behind Gunnar is quite enough. I would have had Mountcastle right behind him, in hopes that it would discourage them from force-feeding him LHPs — or alternatively at least making sure Mountcastle gets some swings against those southpaws. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not sure that hitting Hays and Hicks behind Gunnar is quite enough. I would have had Mountcastle right behind him, in hopes that it would discourage them from force-feeding him LHPs — or alternatively at least making sure Mountcastle gets some swings against those southpaws. 

There is a pretty good chance Gunnar does nothing against Montgomery, not sure why he's batting fourth, honestly.

Let me say that I don't think Adley performs well in the leadoff spot. He hits too many choppers to the infield every time I've see him hit leadoff. LIke Brandon Hyde said, it's more stressful on him trying to get his catchers gear on and off when he's the leadoff hitter. That might also bleed into his pitch calling prep as well.

I wonder if there might be any value in starting McCann at C in Game 3 and DHing Adley, who hits better at DH. Would that put Hyde in a precarious position late in the game if he wants to PH? Would he risk losing the DH if he slides Adley to C at any point?

9 minutes ago, Babkins said:

I wonder if there might be any value in starting McCann at C in Game 3 and DHing Adley, who hits better at DH. Would that put Hyde in a precarious position late in the game if he wants to PH? Would he risk losing the DH if he slides Adley to C at any point?

Yes he would lose the DH. Then at that point it becomes the old National League rules and Hyde will have to pull some double switches. It can be done but it makes things complicated and difficult.

10 minutes ago, Babkins said:

The correct time to do that was in game 1 and/or 2, against LHP, like we have been doing all season.