2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Odd to see them go a man short in the bullpen especially with Cano and Bautista pitching yesterday. I guess they really wanted to keep Gunnar at 3B rather than play Vavra. I'll always celebrate an Ortiz start, but it puts a little more pressure on Gibby to have a long start.

It's almost like they optioned Vespi just to give Mateo a day off lol.

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Odd to see them go a man short in the bullpen especially with Cano and Bautista pitching yesterday. I guess they really wanted to keep Gunnar at 3B rather than play Vavra. I'll always celebrate an Ortiz start, but it puts a little more pressure on Gibby to have a long start.

They could drop O'Hearn at any point if they wanted to. I'd expect Vespi back up if McKenna goes on the IL.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They could drop O'Hearn at any point if they wanted to. I'd expect Vespi back up if McKenna goes on the IL.

Yeah I doubt this configuration lasts long, which is something we're getting used to saying about the roster this year. I like that it feels like we're playing with a 30 man active roster. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bullpen should be pretty rested with Voth, Coulombe, Perez, Baumann all available plus Baker and Cano. If they want Ortiz for a start or two and have no use for Vespi today it makes sense. Probably Ortiz or Vavra down and an arm coming back after the game. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I doubt this configuration lasts long, which is something we're getting used to saying about the roster this year. I like that it feels like we're playing with a 30 man active roster. 

I'd like to see Ortiz stay up for a while really.ateo is just lost right now. 

Vavra or O'Hearn could easily be dropped for a reliever tomorrow if needed.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bullpen should be pretty rested with Voth, Coulombe, Perez, Baumann all available plus Baker and Cano. If they want Ortiz for a start or two and have no use for Vespi today it makes sense. Probably Ortiz or Vavra down and an arm coming back after the game. 

Yeah true. Perez really needs to pitch so I think no matter the score he's gonna get in there which probably negates the need for Vespi anyway. I hope we can avoid Cano today. 

I expect Adley to be off every Sunday day game. 

I'm surprised about the roster move. This confirms a pitcher CAN actually be swapped for a position player and vica versa.  By my count, this will mean Ortiz will only have 2 options remaining for the rest of the season once he's semt back down again.

We are playing without a full deck today but it's necessary over the course of such a long season.

4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Today's lineup must be the worst Oriole lineup I've seen this year

I think the lineup that got shutout this past Monday was worse. A cold Mateo hitting 5th, McCann 6th, and Frazier 7th. McKenna 9th.

The lineup against lefties is an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm a broken record saying this, but Westburg is part of the answer to that problem.

28 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think the lineup that got shutout this past Monday was worse. A cold Mateo hitting 5th, McCann 6th, and Frazier 7th. McKenna 9th.

The lineup against lefties is an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm a broken record saying this, but Westburg is part of the answer to that problem.

Really?  Today's lineup has 5 hitters with an OPS under .700 -- including two under .400.  Just looking at the box score they have 15 strikeouts today.  Henderson shouldn't be batting higher than 8th or 9th.  I don't get the Stowers experiment at all.  He needs to go down soon.  Henderson may need a taste of AAA again too at some point, especially to work on his defense.  

Concerning McKenna, he's hit pretty well this year against lefties.  Though today's pitcher is a righty.  

But really the player that drives me mad is Ryan Mountcastle.  His OBP is in the bottom 15 in the league, as are his walks.  I guess he'll get better, but I don't see him as the 1B or DH of the future for this team with all the talent downstairs and around the league.  Despite his obvious gifts as a hitter he's more flawed than Mancini.