Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course you doubt it, until they perform well in the major leagues.   The streets are littered with guys who hit very well in the minors but never became good major league hitters.   And in Kjerstad’s case, there were plenty of doubters even before he spent two years on the shelf with a serious illness.   

The question was... Could Heston Kjerstad eventually develop into that middle of the order power bat that we covet?

My answer... Has anyone ever doubted this?

Has anyone ever doubted that he could?

No one suggested it was a certainty.. or that any player's success is.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:09 AM, Frobby said:

I really don’t understand the “don’t trust Hays to stay healthy” stuff at this point.  That said, his swing decisions don’t really fit Elias’ preferences for patient, selective hitters, so I could see him being traded.

I don't see the O's trading Hays until after the 2024 season when he is going into his walk year.   I hope you are knocking on wood every time you talk about Hays health.  I know I am.

However I think Santander is traded this off season.    And I don't see a spot of the 26 man roster for McKenna as soon as Cowser arrives.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

It looks like its the same HR from yesterday now looking at the previous tweet. Disregard. 

Because I can't just watch these clips once, I enjoyed watching it a third and fourth time!  4 HRs in 59 PAs.  If I didn't know Cowser was in Norfolk, I would have guessed he was hitting leadoff with his 11 runs and 4 RBI.

I don't think it's hard to imagine that Kjerstad is very close to being major league ready. I will also say the more I've watched him this year the more I think his defense is solid average though he's not always graceful and his routes are not great. 

Speed wise I think he's kinda of sneeky fast. He's not going to steal many bases, that won't be part of his game, but he's not a base clogger for sure.

His splits in every way suggest success at higher levels. He's hit pitchers older than him well. He's crushing lefties. Besides the fact that he doesn't take a lot of walks, he's really been about as impressive as a player can be this year. 

I keep looking at ways to move him up the prospect power rankings and the problem is the guys ahead of are doing similar things. 

image.thumb.png.ffe323c621ccac00f8245968ab2bad8b.pngimage.thumb.png.ffe323c621ccac00f8245968ab2bad8b.png

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Ripken said:

@Tony-OH How's he look at 1B?

Let's say he he needs a lot of work still. He's come off the bag at times when stretching for balls, struggles at times with infield pop ups, has dropped a throw, and needs to improve on scooping. He looks like a guy with very little experience at 1B. 

I think the fact he's getting very little time there tells me that for now, they prefer him in RF or DH. Santander certainly looks better at 1B despite his limited play there. 

• Upvote 2