Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

In Hyde’s presser after Tuesdays game, he talked about how Bradish reminded him of Arrieta, when he arrived in Chicago, made some adjustments to his offerings and took off. I hadn’t thought of that comparison but it is pretty interesting.

As to the rotation going forward, as much as I am up for the Os spending money, I’m not sure I truly see the need. Your top 3 pitchers are Bradish/GRod/Means. You have Kremer/Wells/Irvin. If you want to go all out and get a guy that slots in with the top 3, I’m not going to get upset about it, but I am pretty comfortable with this group moving forward. To me, adding would be a luxury, not a necessity.

3 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

In Hyde’s presser after Tuesdays game, he talked about how Bradish reminded him of Arrieta, when he arrived in Chicago, made some adjustments to his offerings and took off. I hadn’t thought of that comparison but it is pretty interesting.

As to the rotation going forward, as much as I am up for the Os spending money, I’m not sure I truly see the need. Your top 3 pitchers are Bradish/GRod/Means. You have Kremer/Wells/Irvin. If you want to go all out and get a guy that slots in with the top 3, I’m not going to get upset about it, but I am pretty comfortable with this group moving forward. To me, adding would be a luxury, not a necessity.

Plus McDermott.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Plus McDermott.

I don’t think we have any idea yet of what we have in McDermott. He had an excellent year, and had more success in AAA (2.49 ERA, 1.007 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 4.3 BB/9) than he had in AA (3.66 ERA, 1.249 WHIP, 11.6 K/9, 5.8 BB/9).   He’s certainly a very interesting prospect, and only the BB rate gives any cause for concern.   But I’m not counting on him for anything in 2024.   He’ll get a good look in spring training I’m sure.  

46 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Hearing that comparison to Arrieta definitely had me thinking.  Definitely see the similarities in stuff and how they attack hitters.  As far as demeanor, both are quiet - however Arrieta was an intense quiet and Bradish is more of a focused quiet - more relaxed.

I show Bradish needing 4-5 shutout innings to leap frog Sonny Gray's 2.79 ERA.    12 outs is 2.7948 which is about the worst round off to 2.79 there is.

Unless the Red Sox accelerate golf course mode, I think 3 innings is about what he'll do today, but with nothing at stake in Game 162, I'm ready for the first time through the lineup to be over in 30-ish pitches, and then maybe they want him to do 40-50.

We'll be fortunate if we can get one or two Bradish v. S. Gray October matchups to settle the competition for 2nd best year in the league.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:45 AM, Frobby said:

I don’t think we have any idea yet of what we have in McDermott. He had an excellent year, and had more success in AAA (2.49 ERA, 1.007 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 4.3 BB/9) than he had in AA (3.66 ERA, 1.249 WHIP, 11.6 K/9, 5.8 BB/9).   He’s certainly a very interesting prospect, and only the BB rate gives any cause for concern.   But I’m not counting on him for anything in 2024.   He’ll get a good look in spring training I’m sure.  

Right.  And all of this is why McDermott is in the tier who could be in the rotation vs. the 3-4 guys who are counted on.  He’s not counted on but he needs a window to prove if he can be an ML pitcher or not.  If the org is a developmental org then we should almost always have someone knocking to prove it.

By throwing two scoreless innings yesterday, Bradish raised his ERA+ to 146, tying the mark of Erik Bedard in 2007.   To find a better one for a qualified Orioles pitcher, you have to go back to the strike-shortened 1994 season, when Mike Mussina posted a 164.   As was noted already, Bradish’s raw ERA of 2.83 is the lowest since Mussina’s 2.54 in 1992, which translated to a 157 ERA+.   

Even Jim Palmer only had four seasons better than 146 ERA+, including two of his Cy Young seasons.   

So, Bradish is in really rarified air here.  I’m hoping he looks as sharp in the playoffs as he looked yesterday.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

In Means' absence and with 84 mostly strong looking pitches today, the Sigbot has data to analyze whether to give him a little Game 4 work on three days rest if we are down 1-2.

Considering you would have Grayson on full rest Game 5 you have to use him if necessary. 

Bradish was a mix of contradictions today that usually don't make sense. His slider is usually his best pitch but we saw him hang a few of them. And yet, Rangers batters were stilling missing them. And Bradish was still missing bats. Other than that one inning, he was stacking up strikeouts in spite of the slider not being 100%. 

But while he was striking batters out, he was also having to work the pitch count to a pitchers favor and his number of pitches rose quickly because of it. 

• Upvote 1