Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

Just now, Spy Fox said:

5 scoreless today. Room to improve with pitch efficiency and limiting baserunners, but great to see his best outing yet in terms of outcome. 

Honestly he got a little lucky today.  Some hard hit balls that didn’t fall in.  

Generally, though he got 6 K’s, he made a  lot of 2-strike pitches that were either noncompetitive or too in the zone.  He’s really got to cut down on those if he wants to get deeper in games.  The contrast between him and EdRod was pretty stark in terms of pitch-efficiency.  

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly he got a little lucky today.  Some hard hit balls that didn’t fall in.  

Generally, though he got 6 K’s, he made a  lot of 2-strike pitches that were either noncompetitive or too in the zone.  He’s really got to cut down on those if he wants to get deeper in games.  The contrast between him and EdRod was pretty stark in terms of pitch-efficiency.  

Yeah, I thought he looked better in the Texas and Chicago games after the 1st inning than he did today. At least twice he gave up rocket outs with runners on base and 2 outs, so this game could have gone much differently.

But a nice stepping stone to get through a game without actually allowing that big inning. 

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Do  you guys think they will pair James McCann with Grayson Rodriguez tomorrow for the 1st time? I find it odd they didn't play James today after the great game he had vs Wents + catching for Gibson a week ago.

I think Adley is Gaysons man.  Will be interesting.  Nice observation.  Does seem they are pushing Adley just a bit above optimal.  

• Upvote 1

Grayson Rodriguez has been withheld from the baseball blogosphere so long that his actual arrival is like an epic happening inspiring BP writers to drop like 3000 words and make baseball/religion analogies about not being able to finish guys off with two strikes.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/82310/cold-takes-counting-on-grayson-rodriguez/

On the pitching side, the magic lies in getting to two strikes. Strike three is the end, but strike two introduces the possibility of strike three, reducing every hitter to a shell of himself. Scan a leaderboard of pitchers with the most and least two-strike counts, and it’ll look like a leaderboard of who’s good or bad at pitching. The same guys who can miss bats twice are likely to do it again. But in 2023, there’s been one troubling little exception:

Starters, 2023, Favorable Counts (250+ Pitches) (through 4/26)
Pitcher Ahead in Count wOBA
Garrett Whitlock 60% .231
Spencer Strider 56.5% .141
JP Sears 55.7% .305
Joe Ryan 55.2% .183
Drew Rasmussen 54.8% .146
Jacob deGrom 54.6% .125
Grayson Rodriguez 54% .374
George Kirby 53.7% .243
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Grayson Rodriguez has been withheld from the baseball blogosphere so long that his actual arrival is like an epic happening inspiring BP writers to drop like 3000 words and make baseball/religion analogies about not being able to finish guys off with two strikes.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/82310/cold-takes-counting-on-grayson-rodriguez/

Ha, you know it's not going to be your usual baseball article when it starts, "When I was a young boy..." Took a while to get to the point ("it means nothing, it's only April") but interesting nonetheless. Failure to put away guys has definitely been his issue. I wonder if it's a matter of wasting pitches works in the minors but not at the big league level. 

53 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

On the pitching side, the magic lies in getting to two strikes. Strike three is the end, but strike two introduces the possibility of strike three, reducing every hitter to a shell of himself. Scan a leaderboard of pitchers with the most and least two-strike counts, and it’ll look like a leaderboard of who’s good or bad at pitching. The same guys who can miss bats twice are likely to do it again. But in 2023, there’s been one troubling little exception:

Starters, 2023, Favorable Counts (250+ Pitches) (through 4/26)
Pitcher Ahead in Count wOBA
Garrett Whitlock 60% .231
Spencer Strider 56.5% .141
JP Sears 55.7% .305
Joe Ryan 55.2% .183
Drew Rasmussen 54.8% .146
Jacob deGrom 54.6% .125
Grayson Rodriguez 54% .374
George Kirby 53.7% .243

You can say this about puzzling things about so many of our players… “It’s only their first/second season in the Majors.”  Stuff is going to happen. He’ll figure it out. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You can say this about puzzling things about so many of our players… “It’s only their first/second season in the Majors.”  Stuff is going to happen. He’ll figure it out. 

For sure.    To the extent that I'm a big Bull Durham person, this is the most talented Nuke who will break in, and he's simply in the middle of the part Crash tells him that these big league hitters are going to light you up like a pinball machine for a while, don't worry about it.

A Tigers lineup maybe minus Baez and Carpenter is one I hope he can make progress against.     We've seen probably dozens of times by now the game where high minors lineups can't touch him for 5 innings, 64 pitches, and he's hooked.   That won't happen tonight if he can get the outs efficiently early, and it doesn't rain.

Fear and arrogance, Grayson.    I know you may have to be intentional about the fear part if a few of DET's weaker options start tonight.

I think Grayson wastes too many two-strike pitches by throwing stuff that is nowhere near the strike zone.  And, he’s made some two-strike pitches that were too hittable, too.  He needs to find that nice ring of area just outside the zone.  Saying that, he’s striking out 11.6 per 9, so it’s not like he’s not getting any strikeouts.  But he could get more, and induce weaker contact when they do hit his two-strike pitches.   I’m sure he’ll figure it out.  

13 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

He arrived with this one. Could've been more efficient, but he was like Means/Bedard/Mussina for 5 innings.

He was attacking hitters.  I think it's just part of his development where he's more confident and trusts his stuff.  I definitely like Adley being his personal catcher.