Heston, Terrin and Lewin

Explosivo

Man, these guys are playing quite well. At this point, I like Lewin as the backup first baseman and Terrin as your utility infielder. Heston is playing so well right now that I’d love for him to jump up quick so we could see him on the team this year. He’s just locked in! Very exciting to see all this young talent kicking ass so quickly.

• Upvote 1

At this point, what do you guys think of Stowers? If this is the real Heston, man, there are going to be some interesting trades and decisions to be made at the trade deadline. Cowser is the walk God, Santander looks like he’s still recovering from his knee contusion. And McKenna still looks like a AAAA player. 

You’re right though, way too early to tell about any of these guys but man with all Heston has been through, it’s incredibly exciting to see him take the next step in his game.

It's still VERY early, but Kjerstad is definitely encouraging. 

As for the other two, I don't think there's a way both fit on the roster without an injury or trade. The bench is going to be McCann, whoever amongst Mateo/Urias/Frazier isn't starting and McKenna. That leaves one spot for Vavra or a backup 1B. Theoretically, Vavra did play some CF in the minors and Hays can backup CF so you could get both on the roster with McKenna in AAA, but I'm not sure I see the Orioles doing that. Now, if we trade Urias or Mateo, that opens up things a lot more. 

Lewin Diaz can go to Norfolk and play regularly and wait.  We don’t have the luxury of holding a spot for a player limited to 1B/DH.   Mazara is even more limited.  At least Diaz is good at one spot.   The last spot is between Franchy Cordero and Terrin Vavra.   If Vavra starts getting some time at 1B, I like his chances.

I've always thought that the value of McKenna's ability to cover all 3 outfield spots was way overstated. Does he really add so much to the team with respect to defense that can't be replaced or improved with other outfield solutions?  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It's still VERY early, but Kjerstad is definitely encouraging. 

As for the other two, I don't think there's a way both fit on the roster without an injury or trade. The bench is going to be McCann, whoever amongst Mateo/Urias/Frazier isn't starting and McKenna. That leaves one spot for Vavra or a backup 1B. Theoretically, Vavra did play some CF in the minors and Hays can backup CF so you could get both on the roster with McKenna in AAA, but I'm not sure I see the Orioles doing that. Now, if we trade Urias or Mateo, that opens up things a lot more. 

Vavra and Diaz doing well early does seem like there are 14 position players fighting for 13 spots.  But with a month to go that will undoubtly change.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I've always thought that the value of McKenna's ability to cover all 3 outfield spots was way overstated. Does he really add so much to the team with respect to defense that can't be replaced or improved with other outfield solutions?  

Who backs up CF if not McKenna?