Heston, Terrin and Lewin

Explosivo

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

At this point, what do you guys think of Stowers? If this is the real Heston, man, there are going to be some interesting trades and decisions to be made at the trade deadline. Cowser is the walk God, Santander looks like he’s still recovering from his knee contusion. And McKenna still looks like a AAAA player. 

You’re right though, way too early to tell about any of these guys but man with all Heston has been through, it’s incredibly exciting to see him take the next step in his game.

I agree if Kjerstad is going to OPS over 3000, he has to play in front of Stowers. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

No he doesn’t. 

Unless there is some extreme season ending injury to Mullins, I think Hays can cover the position. I suppose the primary focus is whether someone else can provide more overall value than McKenna (who I'm assuming is replacement level at best?). What are the options and what is the real tradeoff? 

I think Mullins is such a sturdy 1st stringer whoever replaces him if he goes down three weeks (Cowser) can be at AAA.    For once in 10 games, you can redeploy McKenna's roster spot if you can live with Hays.

Stowers played CF the most among the three OF positions at Norfolk last year.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I've always thought that the value of McKenna's ability to cover all 3 outfield spots was way overstated. Does he really add so much to the team with respect to defense that can't be replaced or improved with other outfield solutions?  

If we’re just going by the numbers here…if McKenna were to exclusively play CF vs lefties and Mullins played against righties then it’s a .794/.782 OPS split respectively (using 2022 numbers) which would be pretty damn good.

Hays can certainly fill in for a couple of games. If something serious were to happen to Mullins I would rather have a true CF, even with Mateo-like offense. 

McKenna does have an option but that would be his last one.

As for Vavra and Diaz, unfortunately we are only going to keep one. I'd prefer Vavra due to his versatility and high OBP. Similar to Mullins/Hays, we have guys who can back up 1B for a game or two. If Mouncastle goes to the DL for an extended period, Diaz would be a phone call away.

Great to Kjerstad looking healthy. I wonder if he will surpass Cowser this year after being mostly written off.

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Unless there is some extreme season ending injury to Mullins, I think Hays can cover the position. I suppose the primary focus is whether someone else can provide more overall value than McKenna (who I'm assuming is replacement level at best?). What are the options and what is the real tradeoff? 

You gotta remember that Hays has a lot of haters on this forum.  I guess his hot and cold streaks give people a bad taste in their mouth.  But when he is on, he is arguably the best player on this team.

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

You gotta remember that Hays has a lot of haters on this forum.  I guess his hot and cold streaks give people a bad taste in their mouth.  But when he is on, he is arguably the best player on this team.

That's most of these guys. (except for Adley, you can't really argue any of them are better than Adley)

When Mateo had that stretch with the bat he was arguably the best player on the team, same with Mountcastle when he's putting up a 1183 OPS for a solid month.

Both of those guys also have a lot of haters on this forum.

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I've always thought that the value of McKenna's ability to cover all 3 outfield spots was way overstated. Does he really add so much to the team with respect to defense that can't be replaced or improved with other outfield solutions?  

Way overstated.  Hays is the perfect fourth OF for a good team and hopefully the O's stake that claim by the AS break.  I predict Hjerstad is going to break out this season assuming he can stay healthy.

10 hours ago, yark14 said:

Hays is a bow avg defensive of at this point in his career. If he’s covering cf you have three below, to well below (santander) defensive of in your starting lineup. They’re not going to trip and call, but it won’t be pretty. Plus losing mckenna takes away your ability to make a defensive substitution late in games. 

I know some people like to focus on offense only, but defense matters in roster construction. Also mckenna hits lefties fairly well (and probably should never bat vs righties).