Three thoughts on the pitch clock

interloper

12 hours ago, Spakman said:

I also wonder how much advertising plays into this. I don’t know the commercial lengths in each decade or where they started having commercials but I’m assuming it’s a factor.

Do they have "commerical timeouts" in baseball like they do in other sports? If they do I was completely unaware. I just thought the pace of the game was slow enough to squeeze them in, in between innings. 

On 3/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, Jagwar said:

Could you imagine the complete chaos that would ensue if Aaron Judge gets called out on strikes to end the World Series because he couldn't get ready for a pitch in time? Or Devers? I'd pop pocorn and read the meltdown on SoSH with glee. 

(of course, I'd hate it if it were an Oriole)

I think there’s a high likelihood of some pitch clock shenanigans helping the home team like we see in shot clock, play clock, and game clock.

Maybe the activation method will prevent that? Then again we’ve seen that the laws of physics don’t apply to the foul pole in Yankee stadium during the playoffs so who knows.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, Jagwar said:

Could you imagine the complete chaos that would ensue if Aaron Judge gets called out on strikes to end the World Series because he couldn't get ready for a pitch in time? Or Devers? I'd pop pocorn and read the meltdown on SoSH with glee. 

(of course, I'd hate it if it were an Oriole)

22 hours ago, Ripken said:

All major sports leagues are concerned that younger people aren't interested in their product.  It's a big part of rule changes favoring offense, embracing the once toxic gambling environment, turning stadiums into entertainment complexes, and so forth.  Far too many people consider baseball boring.  Changes like this are very needed if it's going to thrive.

Football seems to be back and thriving of late, but yes, I do think the younger generation is to in need of instant gratification that a sport like baseball must be tweaked a bit to keep it relevant past us diehards. 

I'm not a gambler really, but clearly, gambling has become a huge part of the younger fans experience, especially in football where same game parlays are very popular. 

Overall, I was against the 2nd base runner in extra innings and any pitch clocks before I saw them in the minors and became a fan of both. sometimes change is actually good for the game.

Now if someone can do something about college football game times! lol

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Football seems to be back and thriving of late, but yes, I do think the younger generation is to in need of instant gratification that a sport like baseball must be tweaked a bit to keep it relevant past us diehards. 

I'm not a gambler really, but clearly, gambling has become a huge part of the younger fans experience, especially in football where same game parlays are very popular. 

Overall, I was against the 2nd base runner in extra innings and any pitch clocks before I saw them in the minors and became a fan of both. sometimes change is actually good for the game.

I still don't care for either (I like the runner at second less than the pitch clock). That sad, it's not the point that I'll stop watching. I may adjust how I watch, but they still have my eyes on the game so the changes aren't for me. I imagine most fans that prefer the game without the clock are like me in that they won't stop watching because of the changes.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The excessive replay reviews, long timeouts for commercials, etc., are really frustrating. Watching a game is getting ridiculous. 

So the pitch clock isn't supposed to be visible in real games. But some media outlets have added it to their scorebugs. I think it would probably be better if it were just totally invisible. Hopefully violations would be rare enough that it simply looks like the players are working faster.

I think this idea along the lines that "kids need instant gratification" is a total straw man argument.  It is objectively true that baseball games didn't used to take this long.  I'm 40 and I would love for the game times to revert back to when I was a kid.

Count me in the demographic that loves baseball but does not watch interminable postseason games anymore (unless the O's are in them!) because they drag on so much.  The game has changed due to analytics (mostly because of people my age).  I think it's OK to want to return the gametime to what it once was.  I, for one, am excited about it.

My current theory is I think OBP could be pretty significantly down throughout baseball due to the pitch clock. Guys are just so rushed and up there hacking it seems like. Like I said in the OP, no real idea if that will be true, it's just a theory.

But if it pans out like that, it would be the opposite of what league wants in terms of increasing offense. I think they might just increase pop-ups and ground outs. Will more balls in play = more hits? Maybe, but I think overall there could be less guys on base due to rushed swing decisions. 

With a team like the Orioles who already have several guys with poor OBP, that could be an issue. 

Or it's just a wrong theory! 

image.thumb.png.1c7c8fdcad07da2dfaf7418c7897a3dc.png

Edited by interloper

On 3/8/2023 at 12:46 PM, StottyByNature said:

I think this idea along the lines that "kids need instant gratification" is a total straw man argument.  It is objectively true that baseball games didn't used to take this long.  I'm 40 and I would love for the game times to revert back to when I was a kid.

Count me in the demographic that loves baseball but does not watch interminable postseason games anymore (unless the O's are in them!) because they drag on so much.  The game has changed due to analytics (mostly because of people my age).  I think it's OK to want to return the gametime to what it once was.  I, for one, am excited about it.

It's not a straw man, but maybe it's not well articulated.

Kids these days (yeah, I said it) have their faces stuck in their phones.  And on top of that, they have the attention span of a gnat.  A slow game like baseball doesn't grab their attention.

The point is that kids have more options than ever for things to grab their attention.  I'm 41, so we're about the same age...you and I didn't have NEARLY the amount of options for entertainment back when we were growing up that kids do today.  As a result, baseball is threatened to get lost in the shuffle behind more action oriented ball sports like football and basketball  and sports that have increased in popularity over the years like lacrosse and soccer, not to mention things like MMA that didn't exist 25 years ago.  And on top of that, every video game console, website, streaming platform, etc.  There's just so many more options for kids in general.  

So when they say "instant gratification" I think it's a bit of a misnomer.  But there is a certain amount of truth to it, too.  Growing up, I couldn't have ever imagined having every song ever at my fingertips for 15 bucks a month.  Couldn't imagine having practically every movie ever at the click of a button.  So yes, these kids do have instant gratification baked into how they're growing up and they don't even know it.  Like, they don't even have to leave the house for anything.  Groceries? Delivered.  Fast food?  Delivered.  At the absolute worst Amazon will deliver it TOMORROW.  

But I digress.  I hope my kid just likes "a" sport.  I'm not even particular for which one, I'd even settle for hockey.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:41 AM, accinfo said:

I understand the main reason they haven't opened earlier is because they couldn't get enough employees to work the stadium since covid.  Like many of the service industry there has been a shortage of labor.  

No, it's because John Angelos will only play slave wages, pocketing the rest of their paychecks himself.  But, only after stealing and eating all of his stadium gameday employees' pets.  The bastard.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting to see the trends so far. All point to a better game IMHO.

Will have to tip our collective hats to Manfred for getting this correct.  

I'm betting that 2:30 game time holds for the regular season, give or take 5 minutes either way.  That said, I still think they should do away with the pitch clock for the 9th and extra innings.  I'm really excited about these changes though, this should be a much better brand of baseball.

• Upvote 1

The Phillies TV broadcast yesterday did the pitch clock perfectly. The clock was organically a part of their scorebug, rather than awkwardly tacked on, and it only popped up when there were 10 seconds left. At 8 seconds, the numbers turned yellow. That's how it should be done. Just like the play clock in football only popping up with however many seconds left.

I hope MASN was paying attention (they weren't). 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1