Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Just completely inexcusable that he continues to torch AAA while Mateo plays every day putting up a sub .275 OBP. 

Service time manipulation. For a low spending team it makes little sense to start the clock on an infielder when we have a surplus of infielders right now. They've already decided Ortiz is the next man up to get his shot. Although Ortiz blew it in the limited Plate Appearances he got. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Service time manipulation. For a low spending team it makes little sense to start the clock on an infielder when we have a surplus of infielders right now. They've already decided Ortiz is the next man up to get his shot. Although Ortiz blew it in the limited Plate Appearances he got. 

Ortiz did fine, and will be back. The Orioles place a high value on infield defense and will give Mateo plenty of rope. I think Westbirg will find a good role with the Orioles eventually, but he will never be our starting SS.  His defense there is okay but Mateo, Ortiz and Henderson are all better and Holliday is probably better too.  

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I really don’t think they’re trying to manipulate service time with westburg. He’s just not LH and elias is obsessed with a platoon 

(it’s also past service time manipulation deadlines)

I don’t think service time manipulation is a factor in the case of Westburg either, but the Super 2 cutoff, which is unknowable right now, has been as late as June 15 in the recent past.  So, it’s not really “safe” to assume that a player promoted in the next 2 weeks wouldn’t qualify as a Super 2.

54 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Service time manipulation is done with.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Service time manipulation is done with.

Not until Super 2 date sometime in mid-June but I know you already know that. ME is playing some game we are not seeing with AAAA rehab guys not being promoted even when they are performing and there is need. He goes out and gets another. I wonder what the prospects are thinking?

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Not until Super 2 date sometime in mid-June but I know you already know that. ME is playing some game we are not seeing with AAAA rehab guys not being promoted even when they are performing and there is need. He goes out and gets another. I wonder what the prospects are thinking?

Prospects are thinking that if they keep playing well someone will want them in the majors.

17 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Super 2 isn’t service time manipulation. Those are 2 different things. We are also very likely outside of that window, although it’s not definite.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Prospects are thinking that if they keep playing well someone will want them in the majors.

I'm sure that's what Norby is thinking but Westburg and Kjerstad are kicking down doors with Cowser and Mayo and Ortiz just behind them. The you have Diaz and Cameron seemingly "fixed" with MLB experience at positions where Hyde is throwing misfits (RF, 1B) and even the freebies can't get a shot. Total Tin Hat, Conspiracy Theory on my part, but could we be seeing a ME-Hyde disconnect ala later DD-Buck. If you don't use my prospects the right way I'm gonna take them back? Like Buck played Teagarten until DD DFAed him. Stowers did well enough last year to get a shot. This year Hyde plays Frazier and Vavra in RF over Stowers, Stowers makes a circus catch in LF and goes down. Comes back up, doesn't hit, back down. Since then, crickets from ME including not using the Norfolk express hardly at all.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Super 2 isn’t service time manipulation. Those are 2 different things. We are also very likely outside of that window, although it’s not definite.

Sure it is.

You are manipulating the service time in an attempt to lower what the player's projected compensation will be while he is with the team.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it is.

You are manipulating the service time in an attempt to lower what the player's projected compensation will be while he is with the team.

I meant, that his service time is done in terms of gaining a year. Whether we call him up now or in Sept or the beginning of May, the service time stays the same.

Super 2 is the same service time, it just adds a year of arb.

If you want to argue that we are holding him back because of super 2, that’s fine but that’s not the same as holding him back for service time manipulation.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I meant, that his service time is done in terms of gaining a year. Whether we call him up now or in Sept or the beginning of May, the service time stays the same.

Super 2 is the same service time, it just adds a year of arb.

If you want to argue that we are holding him back because of super 2, that’s fine but that’s not the same as holding him back for service time manipulation.

It's still service time manipulation.  They would be literally manipulating his service time to their advantage.

It just isn't about years of team control.

Both actions qualify for the term.