Is McKenna's spot in jeopardy?

interloper

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are similar players.  Both fast. Both right-handed.  Both 26.  Both centerfielders that can play all three OF spots.   Neither has hit much in the majors.

The difference is Elias drafted Cameron as a 1st rounder.  McKenna was drafted by Duquette on the 4th round.  McKenna is on the 40 man roster.  Cameron is not.  McKenna has an option.  Cameron is out of options.

More importantly, McKenna had some success last year, especially against LHP. Cameron has not had any success in MLB. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

More importantly, McKenna had some success last year, especially against LHP. Cameron has not had any success in MLB. 

In 63 at bats vs lefties in 2022 McKenna had a .794 OPS.

In 20 at bats vs lefties in 2022 Cameron had a 791 OPS.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The difference is that teams think a guy like Cameron has potential to be something and they think maybe they can get him to his potential.    Now, they might want him to play everyday at Norfolk to continue working on things.   This assumes that the Orioles actually have him working on something.    When we initially acquired Cameron I watched his highlights from last year and most of those were balls he hit to RF and CF.   Not too many pull shots.    This spring, first of all, he seems bigger.  Secondly, he seems to be turning on a lot of pitches.    Perhaps it's the Orioles "secret sauce" of tapping into power.     I think McKenna and Cameron are pretty interchangeable but I do think the Orioles might see more than a 5th outfielder with Cameron, potentially.

You pretty much said what I was trying to say but you said it much better.

We kinda know what Ryan is while Daz seems to have more that may be able to get tapped into.

20 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

If this is really a thing then McKenna's spot is in jeopardy...

Well that really came out of left field. Its been bandied about on the hangout for at least a year if not longer. Never heard Elias or Hyde talk about it though. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I was vehemently told that it made no sense to play Mateo anywhere else but SS. Interesting.

About as interesting as Hays playing CF, Vavra playing 3B, and Frazier playing RF.  Probably less interesting.  Unless they are showcasing him..

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

About as interesting as Hays playing CF, Vavra playing 3B, and Frazier playing RF.  Probably less interesting.  Unless they are showcasing him..

I don’t think they’re showcasing him based on Hyde’s post-game comments. It seems like they’re going to move guys around to prepare for various possibilities during the regular season. This is what Hyde said according to Roch:

Hyde is experimenting with a roster that offers the flexibility to do it.

"You'll him [sic] him again," he said. "We're going to move guys around a little bit these last few days. Just never know what's going to happen when a season comes around."

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/gibson-gets-through-fifth-after-cutting-thumb-and-allowing-pair-of-three-run-homers

• Upvote 1

If Mateo can handle CF (he has the wheels and arm to be plus) and hit lefties better than McKenna, that creates IF spots for the kids.  I know a lot of people like the idea of specialization and having players focus on their main position, but there is a ton of value in learning other positions/skill sets. These guys aren’t just playing for the Os but also auditioning for 29 other teams.  Building and honing new skills is beneficial on many different levels IMO.  

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

If Mateo can handle CF (he has the wheels and arm to be plus) and hit lefties better than McKenna, that creates IF spots for the kids.  I know a lot of people like the idea of specialization and having players focus on their main position, but there is a ton of value in learning other positions/skill sets. These guys aren’t just playing for the Os but also auditioning for 29 other teams.  Building and honing new skills is beneficial on many different levels IMO.  

Mateo vs LHP last season .203/.253/.365/.618

McKenna vs LHP last season .270/.333/.460/.794

This is why it doesn't really make sense to play Mateo anywhere other then short stop. Literally anyone else is a better bat, so he's only in the lineup for his defense