Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re right and I don’t want to argue about Mike Trout. He’s an overrated player on an underachieving team that quite frankly only affects us the few games we play them. 

Adley could finish 2nd in MVP. Ohtahni would have to get hurt for 1st. 

You're a bit over the top.  

In regards to his underachieving team, it's not Trout's fault that the Angels have failed miserably at building a good team around him.  You should know that baseball isn't like football or basketball where a star player can carry an otherwise average-ish team to the playoffs.  

Mike Trout is an all-time great, might be a top 10 player of all time.  If you think he's overrated, you're doing your 12-year-old-who-hacked-the-family-computer bit.  And Ohtani is deserving of MVP consideration practically every year he stays healthy and does what he does.  He's not overrated, either.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Manny was that guy, in hindsight.  He was close, but not that guy.  

Besides Trout, Manny has probably been the most consistently very good player of the last decade. He always plays. He always produces. Is he the type of guy to go out and put up a historically great season? No, but he's very good all the time. 

Edited by backdoorslider

5 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

Besides Trout, Manny has probably been the most consistently very good player of the last decade. He always plays. He always produces. Is he the type of guy to go out and put up a historically great season? No, but he's very good all the time. 

You're forgetting Arenado (who might be a tick better than Manny).  Mookie Betts.  Freddie Freeman.  Votto (although he's started to slip).  Altuve.  

Note, I'm not arguing these guys are BETTER than Manny, but I am saying they are all really good and have been consistent for the past decade.  

Manny plays, he produces.  He's never really put up that one WOW season.  He's steady, he's consistent.  And I wish he'd spent his entire career here.  I just don't think he's the best third baseman of his generation (again Arenado probably is) and a guy that's on a Ripken level status for a franchise.  

Had he stayed here, MAYBE he's viewed in a Ripken-way.  But the equivalent of a Ripken in San Diego would be Tony Gwynn and I don't believe he's viewed as a Tony Gwynn-esque kind of guy by fans in San Diego.

To SG's point, I think this fanbase has romanced Adley Rutschman already in a way that they never did for Manny.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that is true I unfortunately think it has more to do with the fanbase than with Manny.

San Diego seems fond of him.

Ehhh, I don’t think it’s a slight to Manny. I’m not saying he wasn’t a fan favorite. But I think Adley’s connection is different. He’s out there drinking and partying with the fans. Just seems a little more approachable.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Manny was that guy.

Or are you suggesting the level of hype was lower?

Manny was that guy. And to be honest Wieters had more hype in the draft process and minors than Manny. 

Wieters never lived up to the hype with his long swing and Manny carried himself as an outsider “Mr. Miami”, this market is too small for me.

When I go to games and see the numbers up in left field. And see the last retired number is 8. It’s sad and embarrassing. Rutschman represents a chance to change that. Our franchise’s history the past 30 years has been embarrassing at best, sprinkled in with a few short mildly successful runs. 

We are the Baltimore Orioles with multiple (3 World Series banners). It is time for us to start acting like that! And not the embarrassing , bumbling outfit that we have mostly been under the Angelos regime.

What better statement to make that things are changing than to retain Adley long term as a cornerstone/foundational piece? 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Ehhh, I don’t think it’s a slight to Manny. I’m not saying he wasn’t a fan favorite. But I think Adley’s connection is different. He’s out there drinking and partying with the fans. Just seems a little more approachable.

I agree. Adley is living the life. Probably the best catcher in the league and spends his days drinking beer and banging hoes. I only wish it was me.

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're a bit over the top.  

In regards to his underachieving team, it's not Trout's fault that the Angels have failed miserably at building a good team around him.  You should know that baseball isn't like football or basketball where a star player can carry an otherwise average-ish team to the playoffs.  

Mike Trout is an all-time great, might be a top 10 player of all time.  If you think he's overrated, you're doing your 12-year-old-who-hacked-the-family-computer bit.  And Ohtani is deserving of MVP consideration practically every year he stays healthy and does what he does.  He's not overrated, either.

Top 10 of all time???  Lol. Even a 12 year old can name 10 better. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2