Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

This is splitting hairs but I think Ichiro just thought hits were the best way to get on base, and in his case he was right because he was so good at it. You are right, he wasn't up there trying to draw walks. Overall .355 isn't elite but that includes his 37-45 years which isn't exactly fair. Peak Ichiro was regularly .380-400+ and he sustained that for a long time. .355 would still have him in the top 30 today.  

To further split this hair, there was always a 35-50 point difference between whatever his batting average was and his on base percentage no matter where he was in his career.  The year he had a .414 on base percentage, his batting average was .372.  The year he had a .396 OBP, his batting average was .351.  

To your point, yes, he did think this were the best way to get on base.  He wanted to put pressure on the defense.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

To further split this hair, there was always a 35-50 point difference between whatever his batting average was and his on base percentage no matter where he was in his career.  The year he had a .414 on base percentage, his batting average was .372.  The year he had a .396 OBP, his batting average was .351.  

To your point, yes, he did think this were the best way to get on base.  He wanted to put pressure on the defense.

And I agree, for 99.9% of other players, Ichiro's approach wouldn't work. He had that incredible quickness out of the box as well as the bat to ball skills, plus the advantage of hitting lefty. Adley is a very different type of hitter, I just think it is interesting that he appears to have that extra gear of batting practice power. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The AL is missing a lot of stars tonight but seeing the AS game with Felix saving the game and the normal Adley bear hug (I’m assuming Adley will be the C at the end of the game) would be pretty great.

Having Felix pitch/Adley catch the 9th should be the plan regardless of score. That said, Dusty Baker is a complete and total wildcard, here.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

This is splitting hairs but I think Ichiro just thought hits were the best way to get on base, and in his case he was right because he was so good at it. You are right, he wasn't up there trying to draw walks. Overall .355 isn't elite but that includes his 37-45 years which isn't exactly fair. Peak Ichiro was regularly .380-400+ and he sustained that for a long time. .355 would still have him in the top 30 today.  

Guys like Ichiro who have elite bat-to-ball skills are only going to walk so much because they don't swing and miss that often.  Guys with big walk rates tend to have a fair amount of swing and miss as part of their game.  

50 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Guys like Ichiro who have elite bat-to-ball skills are only going to walk so much because they don't swing and miss that often.  Guys with big walk rates tend to have a fair amount of swing and miss as part of their game.  

Vlad Guerrero was another one like that - he walked 56 per 162 and struck out 74 per 162 because he could make contact with anything thrown in his general direction.

12 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Question is how many camera shots will his sister get during the game. 

I really was confused by all of the hullabaloo about this.  Family members are shown all of the time for these things.  She was in a jersey and honestly cheering wildly for her brother and father.  Moreover, she was standing next to her mother who was doing the same.  Were they not supposed to shoot her because some people would think she was attractive?  It's fine (within reason) if the internet wants to go wild because they think she is attractive, I just don't get the criticism of the network for the camera shots.  

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

And I agree, for 99.9% of other players, Ichiro's approach wouldn't work. He had that incredible quickness out of the box as well as the bat to ball skills, plus the advantage of hitting lefty. Adley is a very different type of hitter, I just think it is interesting that he appears to have that extra gear of batting practice power. 

Hitting a ball lobbed at you by your dad and hitting a pitch that you’ve got 0.4 seconds to recognize and react to are very different skills.   There are probably some slow pitch softball players out there who could compete with major leaguers n the home run derby.   

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Having Felix pitch/Adley catch the 9th should be the plan regardless of score. That said, Dusty Baker is a complete and total wildcard, here.

Let us hope we don't have to start chanting "Dusty Sucks".

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hitting a ball lobbed at you by your dad and hitting a pitch that you’ve got 0.4 seconds to recognize and react to are very different skills.   There are probably some slow pitch softball players out there who could compete with major leaguers n the home run derby.   

Thanks for explaining that to me.

• Haha 1