Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not the best player on the team but he is the most important player.

Probably right.  I echo Tony’s comment that we still don’t know exactly who he’ll be at the plate.  There may be another gear, or there may not.  Either way, he’s contributing a lot and the team has turned 180 degrees since he joined them, not due only to him, but he was and is the catalyst.   

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What can not be debated with any merit though in my opinion is that Rustchman has been absolutely a huge reason for the turn around for this franchise and was absolutely the right pick at 1-1. He's a huge reason the Orioles are where they are right now.

So whether you believed he was the switch-hitting Mike Piazza with Johnny Bench defense, or you just felt he was an above average major league catcher, what no one should argue is that Rutschman is one of the most valuable players on this team.

Absolutely, this. Whether or not he ever hits 30 HR, he has been extremely productive. Since his callup date he is the number one C in MLB by fWAR (9.3, ahead of Murphy 8.8, Raleigh 8.3, Smith 7.2, Realmuto 7.1). 

This year he appears to have slid a little with fWAR putting him merely in the top six group, all within 0.7 fWAR of the leader (Contreras).  Even if you buy that as statistically meaningful, dropping from #1 to slightly less elite doesn't particularly bother me. It's not like all of a sudden he is playing like a below average catcher.

Overall we should be thrilled with his production, even as a 1/1 with high expectations.

People are focusing on Adley's lack of power numbers, but his defensive numbers are also down this year. To me, that's just as significant.

I think it's more likely that his defense rebounds next year (it already has as this season has gone on), but if we're comparing him to Weiters or Posey, those two were elite on the defensive side.

Even with Adley's "struggles" offensively and defensively, he's still got about a 4 fWAR this year. If only one of those rebound next year, he's a 5-6 WAR guy.

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'm not ready to say he can't be Mauer with Power, but being Jason Varitek is a pretty damn good (and affordable) floor.

Varitek wasn't the best hitter. 2023 Adley is nearly as good as Varitek's best offensive season, value-wise.

Edited by dzorange

10 minutes ago, dzorange said:

People are focusing on Adley's lack of power numbers, but his defensive numbers are also down this year. To me, that's just as significant.

I think it's more likely that his defense rebounds next year (it already has as this season has gone on), but if we're comparing him to Weiters or Posey, those two were elite on the defensive side.

Even with Adley's "struggles" offensively and defensively, he's still got about a 4 fWAR this year. If only one of those rebound next year, he's a 5-6 WAR guy.

His defense is already rebounding IMO. He’s up to +6 in catcher blocking runs and I’m pretty sure he was at zero or slightly negative on July 1 or so.

1 minute ago, Since1984 said:

Great play at the plate with that tag. Did not believe it was going to be overturned for an out, which was a huge impact for the win!

I agree. I thought we had a chance just by watching the reaction of the Tampa player (forgot name). He went into the dugout and sat alone by himself and his body language seemed to indicate he knew he was out. My son said, now if it were the Yankees or Red Sox, not sure we would have gotten that call.