Orioles get Pie for Olson and prospect

dsizzlevt

Dave, someone over on MLBTradeRumors said that Harden might have a tear in his shoulder. Have you heard anything about this?

Yeah there's been a lot of talk about that in today's news. This weekend was the Cubs Convention so there are a lot of quotes flying around, and people reading between lines and such.

Apparently Rothschild set off a bit of a worry-storm with some comments about Harden.

Harden himself sounded much more positive and optimistic about where he's at, FWIW.

Regardless I don't think that situation has any real bearing on this Pie/Olson exchange.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody else remember when Pie was deemed "too much" for BRob? Hell, at one time I said I'd trade BRob for Pie straight up.

Just goes to show you what can happen in a year's time. :eek:

I agree with this too so we should be ecstatic. With all those OF the cubs have the young guy was just pressin cuz he had to produce with no room for error . He will relax and run down many balls with a chip on his shoulder, And Oriole Way is comin back. Just hope he mans up and we get a steal. And still have Roberts lol

So, why did Chicago make this deal?

The depth at starting pitching was more important?

What about Olson did they like and why did he end up the target?

Seems to me that Hendry decided to go ahead and take a guy that could be useful to the Cubs' staff (rotation or bullpen), or could be optioned out to Iowa, or could conceivably go into a Peavy deal should that pursuit get green-lighted, in exchange for a guy that he knew he had like 60 days or whatever to find a suitable trade for.

Yeah there's been a lot of talk about that in today's news. This weekend was the Cubs Convention so there are a lot of quotes flying around, and people reading between lines and such.

Apparently Rothschild set off a bit of a worry-storm with some comments about Harden.

Harden himself sounded much more positive and optimistic about where he's at, FWIW.

Regardless I don't think that situation has any real bearing on this Pie/Olson exchange.

He just a piece for Peavy?? Olson that is bud

If Pie was such a great pick up he couldn't have been had for what we've given up.

Wrong..... He's blocked in the Cubs organization. He's expendable to them, making him one mans trash and another man's treasure. We are certainly not going to place the same value on Pie as they are.

Wrong..... He's blocked in the Cubs organization. He's expendable to them, making him one mans trash and another man's treasure. We are certainly not going to place the same value on Pie as they are.

Blocked isn't really the right word.

It's more a case of the Cubs just being down on him and not willing to deal with the growing pains while they are (presumably) competing for another division crown.

I'm undecided on this trade. Pie feels redundant with Montanez and Reimold in the system and our need for pitching pretty much desperate right now. This move could be made better if AM adds to our pitching depth, but right now, I just don't see the positives. I hope I'm wrong.

Depends on your perspective. Sounds like you see Olson(you obviously have already forgotten the pain he caused you last season, you may want to revisit your posts) as reaching enough of his potential to cause you to pause here. Based on Olson's performance to date, we have 5-8 guys that can produce at that level. I think bringing in Pie, gives us flexibility in other areas. It may not work out, but I think it looks good from here.

I'm undecided on this trade. Pie feels redundant with Montanez and Reimold in the system and our need for pitching pretty much desperate right now. This move could be made better if AM adds to our pitching depth, but right now, I just don't see the positives. I hope I'm wrong.

The Orioles have tons of pitching depth. They just don't have many good pitchers. Olson and his 6.50ERA last year doesn't really fit into that "good pitcher" category. Maybe someday he can put it together in a different park and a different system, but for right now we can get the same production out of someone like Liz or Penn.

If you can go more than a year without proving to anyone you are capable of pitching in the majors, you make yourself expendable. MacPhail is going to have to find ways to manage of the balance of making sure each pitcher gets a fair shake to make an impression, but also make a judgement call to get rid of them before they taint their value.

I think the Pie deal is MacPhail saying "I've just about enough, let's find another project". It's pretty clear to me that the Orioles don't see a lot in Reimold, mostly because of his defensive shortcomings, which is the name of the game it seems.

The Penn, Liz, Burres, Olson era of pitching will be determined this year, and then next year they can work on the Matusz, Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez, Tillman crop of pitchers.

The Orioles have tons of pitching depth. They just don't have many good pitchers. Olson and his 6.50ERA last year doesn't really fit into that "good pitcher" category. Maybe someday he can put it together in a different park and a different system, but for right now we can get the same production out of someone like Liz or Penn.

If you can go more than a year without proving to anyone you are capable of pitching in the majors, you make yourself expendable. MacPhail is going to have to find ways to manage of the balance of making sure each pitcher gets a fair shake to make an impression, but also make a judgement call to get rid of them before they taint their value.

I think the Pie deal is MacPhail saying "I've just about enough, let's find another project". It's pretty clear to me that the Orioles don't see a lot in Reimold, mostly because of his defensive shortcomings, which is the name of the game it seems.

The Penn, Liz, Burres, Olson era of pitching will be determined this year, and then next year they can work on the Matusz, Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez, Tillman crop of pitchers.

Not too many balls will be getting through with an outfield of Pie, Jones and Markakis.

Archived