Orioles get Pie for Olson and prospect

dsizzlevt

We targeted the rotation as a weak spot and set out to upgrade. At this point we have Guthrie and an unknows in Koji. Something has to happen here. I could handle Hendrickson as our #5 starter.

Got to think we're drafting a college pitcher with the #5 pick in June.

I agree but I don't agree with the move as we have plenty of pitching in the minors and almost no position player depth whatsoever.

Even if only one of Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta make it, you've still got Liz, Penn, Patton, Bergesen, Berken and Hernandez...

Green is a pipedream obviously, but hopefully we'll get to take Ackley with the 5th pick. A pitcher would be a mistake that early in a draft that has more pitching than hitting.

We can get more pitching in the later rounds and in the 2010 draft. First round picks should be spent on position players for the next 3 drafts. We desperately need ML ready positional talent...

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree but I don't agree with the move as we have plenty of pitching in the minors and almost no position player depth whatsoever.

Even if only one of Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta make it, you've still got Liz, Penn, Patton, Bergesen, Berken and Hernandez...

Green is a pipedream obviously, but hopefully we'll get to take Ackley with the 5th pick. A pitcher would be a mistake that early in a draft that has more pitching than hitting.

We can get more pitching in the later rounds and in the 2010 draft. First round picks should be spent on position players for the next 3 drafts. We desperately need ML ready positional talent...

Wrong we should take the best player available and never go for need

Ackley in my opinion would not be that player at #5

I don't understand everyone being mad at the fact that Reimold and Montanez not getting to play. Both of these players are going to be in spring training and both will have the opportunity to win a spot. It is not as if they are getting any shot to make the team keep them on the 25 man. If Reimold comes out and hits a dozen homeruns in ST then I guarentee that the team will make the moves necessary to accomodate him being on the team.

Were the Cubs willing to dump Pie for nothing? I saw this on SI the other day and thought it would be interesting to see if the O's would pick him up.

Maybe the O's thought he would sign with someone else; maybe it was just speculation or the writer wanted to make it sound as if Pie was going to be dumped for nothing, hopefully Olson had to be given up to get Pie, what do you guys think? Check out the 3rd story on this link.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb?page=3

Were the Cubs willing to dump Pie for nothing? I saw this on SI the other day and thought it would be interesting to see if the O's would pick him up.

Maybe the O's thought he would sign with someone else; maybe it was just speculation or the writer wanted to make it sound as if Pie was going to be dumped for nothing' date=' hopefully Olson had to be given up to get Pie, what do you guys think? Check out the 3rd story on this link.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb?page=3

Actually, I read a couple of reports where the Cubs were considering dropping Pie altogether. That said, it would have allowed a bunch of other teams a shot, and the O's may have not wanted the competition.

-Don

This is a good thing for Olson, IMO.

He'll be going to the soft toss league, where command is key, and a good curveball will keep him in the bullpen. I also see him being traded away to San Diego, so he'll be much closer to his hometown of Fresno. Win-win IMO.

If nothing else, we'll get to watch one of the best if not the best defensive outfields in the major leagues next year.

I think the events of the last 24-hours, Markakis extension and acquiring Pie, definitely gets MacPhail a reprieve from the "he hasn't done anything to improve the long term talent of our organization" criticisms at least for a little while.

Definitely still a lot more to do, but both these moves are very positive, IMO.

Agreed. When you think of the cieling for both Pie and Olson, you HAVE to make this trade if you're AM. Who is more valuable to a team trying to make the playoffs: a #5 starter/swingman with a 4.50 ERA... or a young 5-tool outfielder who plays every day, hits in the two-hole and bats .290 with 20 HRs and 30 stolen bases each year?

It's a no-brainer. This was a brilliant trade. Another excellent trade that could benefit both teams. Still, I think the O's got the better of the deal, especially given the upside potential of both players.

Thanks for clearing that up Don, my initial reaction was why trade for him when you can get him when he's dumped off Sosa's old old squad, but most likely someone else would have picked him up first and I'm sure AM didn't want to take any chances especially with all the interest the O's had shown in Pie in the past.

Are the hostages free yet?

I like this deal. While I remain confident in Olson's ability to become something useful, I think he has a better chance to do it in a new uniform, Just my gut here, but I think Trembley had seen enough of him, too. This game is played and managed by humans, and some humans fit together better than ever.

If the Orioles decide that Pie is going to get 500 at bats no matter what happens, I really believe Baltimore fans will be excited about this deal no later than August or September. The Cubs couldn't afford to let Felix learn on the job, but the Orioles have nothing to lose (except games they'd probably be losing anyway)

Call me crazy, but this trade has me thinking about the outfield defense on the 1989 Why Not team. Anyone who lived through it will remember that having balls that used to fall in get caught for outs helped that pitching staff win a lot more games than anybody was expecting, Pie may never turn into a lefty-hitting Sammy Sosa like some project, but I could easily envision him being a southpaw Mike Devereaux.

Agree with the bold, and it dovetails with Jim Hendry's comments on Pie today (see below quotes about the trade):

"Felix has a lot of good qualities," general manager Jim Hendry said. "With his age, even if he was the fifth outfielder, it's hard to paint a scenario where he could've gotten enough at-bats to finish off his development."

"It's part of the game. [Pie] certainly showed you those skills from 18 to 22, why he was kind of a hot-ticket guy. He's a great outfielder and can run well, but at this point in his career, he hasn't been able to shorten his swing enough. When you play part time, it's hard to make adjustments."

Agreed. When you think of the cieling for both Pie and Olson, you HAVE to make this trade if you're AM. Who is more valuable to a team trying to make the playoffs: a #5 starter/swingman with a 4.50 ERA... or a young 5-tool outfielder who plays every day, hits in the two-hole and bats .290 with 20 HRs and 30 stolen bases each year?

It's a no-brainer. This was a brilliant trade. Another excellent trade that could benefit both teams. Still, I think the O's got the better of the deal, especially given the upside potential of both players.

When has Pie ever displayed 20 HR power??? He couldn't hit 20 playing in the PCL. If he steals 30 bases his history says he will be caught 12 -13 times. All the sudden the 30 wouldn't look so good.

If Pie was such a great pick up he couldn't have been had for what we've given up.

When has Pie ever displayed 20 HR power??? He couldn't hit 20 playing in the PCL. If he steals 30 bases his history says he will be caught 12 -13 times. All the sudden the 30 wouldn't look so good.

If Pie was such a great pick up he couldn't have been had for what we've given up.

STILL no response?

Archived